Treating a seeded sponge filter for snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ricksza

AC Members
Nov 8, 2018
Bensalem, PA USA
Real Name
Rick
HELP, I have sponge filters seeded in my main tank ready to transfer to a brand new tank. I discovered unwanted snails in themain tank, so I probably have snails and eggs in the sponge filters. The main tank is currently being treated with Seachem Cupramine Copper. How can I kill off the snails and eggs quickly without harming my bacteria colony? I have Bleach and Alum on hand.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Could you squeeze it out thoroughly in the same copper solution?

I really don't know the answer as I don't mind and expect to have some snails in my tanks.

Ricksza

AC Members
Nov 8, 2018
Bensalem, PA USA
Real Name
Rick
Could you squeeze it out thoroughly in the same copper solution?

I really don't know the answer as I don't mind and expect to have some snails in my tanks.
The Seachem Cupramine Copper is a 14 day treatment. From what I hear, it may have to be retreated. I was hoping to have the new tank up and cycling this week. I think of the snails as unwanted guests that I want to crush.

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
I got those little devils in my tank. They came in on some live plants. I vacuumed a couple times a week and bought in 5 YoYo Loaches, They are much better controlled now, but with every filter change there are always some there. The loaches are doing their job as there are always empty shells in the sub-straight. I don't know if we will ever get rid of them now, but they are controlled. I have always been afraid of using the copper in my tank. I have Mystery and Nerites that are regular residents of my tank.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Too many pest snails simply means you are putting too much food into a tank. I find them a great indicator of that.

Ricksza

AC Members
Nov 8, 2018
Bensalem, PA USA
Real Name
Rick
I don't have a lot of snails, but even one is too many especially as much as they breed. I will rid myself of them even if I have to disassemble and bleach this tank.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That will do wonders for establishing your beneficial bacterial colony.

I'm kidding! I get it. You've got a thing for snails.

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
That will do wonders for establishing your beneficial bacterial colony.

I'm kidding! I get it. You've got a thing for snails.
Not me. I brought in some live plants and within 24 hours I noticed the snails. I think they are pond snails??? I would love to get rid of them for good. And, yes, I probably do over feed a times. I try real hard to control that. I do have 5 Nerites and 3 Mysteries.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
put the filters in a large enough filter or other fine-meshed bag.

the snails will not be able to get out.

you can do what you want with them afterwards.

Ricksza

AC Members
Nov 8, 2018
Bensalem, PA USA
Real Name
Rick
put the filters in a large enough filter or other fine-meshed bag.

the snails will not be able to get out.

you can do what you want with them afterwards.
They will continue to live in the bag until they starve. How long would that take? Would the bacteria survive?
What would happen if I just soaked the filters in a bucket of water heavily dosed with copper? Afterward I could rinse them in a bucket of dechlorinated water, then let them soak with a charcoal pack to leach out any remaining copper.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store