Trimming Acrylic Top Question.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreakIndeed

Yo yo yo!
Oct 7, 2006
Columbus, OH
Just purchased this used 310 gallon acrylic tank. The built in overflow needs some work and resealing done on the inside bottom. Because of the top of the acrylic I can't reach my arm down toward the bottom (30 inch tall tank). Can anyone think of any consequences to cutting about an inch and a half out of the top piece of acrylic right at the overflow box to provide space to reach down in the overflow not only to fix the problem but also for future maintenance?

I've attached a photo to help show what I'm talking about.

Thanks!!!

overflow.jpg

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
there shouldn't be a problem.. it looks like that piece was added on afterwards anyway and isn't too important structurally.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
On acrylic those top pieces are generally used for support, instead of the plastic frames with cross braces you see on fw tank. On the end like that it may not be as structurally important, but I would try to seal it from the outside first before cutting it apart. Especially on a tank that size, there's a lot of stress and pressure wanting to bow the sides out, that top piece is what prevents it.

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
I dont see any problem with taking off an inch or 2.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store