Trouble sexing my electric blue Jack Dempseys

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
Rosie what? Tiny loaches come to my mind first, lol. But there are barbs & tetras, maybe minnows (rosy reds I think) & other species/genera with that common name.
You need to up your name game girl! JK... in a way... There are no other Dempseys than yours, some names are like that. But common names can be "too common" & we might not know what you mean. What fish did you mean?
Sorry my mom & brother just call the fish Rosies. After taking a new photo of my youngest I really think it’s a boy so I’ve renamed it Bowie. The smallest fish is smaller than my female but the fins are growing bigger.

C43812DA-7390-45D5-9213-0A6EB1DF4F97.jpeg

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
I did add Rosy Reds to each tank. They’re great at stimulating my ELECTRIC BLUES and don’t try to eat the brine shrimp. That’s what my smallest EBJD killed very quickly

nateyj90

AC Members
Feb 13, 2020
Everett, WA
As far as I know, venting is the only way to truly determine the sex on EBJDs. Venting is much more accurate on bigger fish, so I would not attempt to vent your smaller fish until it is larger. I have heard that males tend to be darker in color than the females, but that seems to be unreliable. I have not vented mine yet but will when it gets bigger. First pic is the day I got it; second one is today. Have had it for about 4 months. Its name is Cobalt.

Snapchat-1105287223.jpg

20220803_145614.jpg

nateyj90

AC Members
Feb 13, 2020
Everett, WA
I dunno, natey, judging by fin length & shape Cobalt is a male. Pretty fish!
Thanks! I was worried about purchasing him because everyone says they die pretty quickly. But EBJDs look so beautiful! So far, Cobalt is thriving and is an absolute pig. His favorite treats are earthworms, I'll hold one right above the water (Not too high though) and he'll jump up and get it.

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
Thanks! I was worried about purchasing him because everyone says they die pretty quickly. But EBJDs look so beautiful! So far, Cobalt is thriving and is an absolute pig. His favorite treats are earthworms, I'll hold one right above the water (Not too high though) and he'll jump up and get it.
I never heard about earthworms! My Dad has some in the fridge!

Fishie Mama

AC Members
Jun 14, 2022
Your male is the same age as my male and they look identical except my male is still having issues with his coloring but that’s a tank issue I’m working on. My female has very small fins and has actually lost a pectoral fin so I’ve been adjusting her diet to support the fact that she can’t swim to the top. She’s a beautiful blue color like yours though and her mate makes sure she gets her fair share of treats

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store