Twitching severum- help needed.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishie111

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
I have a severum that twitches his head- the only time I see it is when I feed the tank. Sometimes he will do it repeatedly, other times he does it only a couple of times. This severum is also not eating- he eventually hides when I feed the tank.

I have put the severum in a hospital tank by itself, thinking it had a parasite of some sort, or that it was being picked on by its tankmates (it seemed to be on the bottom of the totem pole). Then, it did eat- but only when I wasn't right there observing.

Next- I put the severum in another tank where I thought it could be top fish- and it seems to be. But, he's back to the same behavior.

I'm treating for parasites, but I just don't know for sure that is what is going on. At all times other than feeding time, he seems very heathy and has lovely coloring.

These behaviors have been going on now for several weeks (during the course of which I moved him from one tank to the hospital tank for a couple of weeks, and now to a different tank.

I just don't know what to try next.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Is it a head shake as in back and forth? If so I wouldn't worry about. A lot of cichlids do this and it's a territory thing. My male Jack Dempsey does it almost every time I feed the tank and he's not even the dominate fish it there.

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
My sevs all display the same behavior; it's pretty common, nothing to worry about. It's the scraping/flashing you want to watch. Enjoy the sevs!!!!:clap:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store