Two years with my cow fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I had a boxfish and I have to admit I think it was the fish with the most character I had ever known. Unfortunately he was my very first fish in a 30 gal tank before I started researching and listened to the advice of my then LFS only (big mistake). Even when he was dying he didn't secrete. I'd love to have another:)

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
He's about 3 1/2 " long. Eats everything I put in the tank, and is very docile. He does his own thing in the tank and bothers no other fish. He has eaten from my hand, but I don't do that very often. His teeth are sharp and he has drawn blood.

Prior to buying, I learned that cow fish can secrete and shed highly poisonous mucus that can kill an entire tank when they're under stress. I've never seen this fish even close to stressed. Even when I'm grubbing around the tank cleaning it, he just follows me around looking for a snack.

Bettaobsession,

I bought him from a LFS.

I wish all fish were this easy to keep and this fun.
I would think it would be bigger after 2 yrs.

lebloom

AC Members
Oct 4, 2001
Illinois
He's about 3 1/2 " long. Eats everything I put in the tank, and is very docile. He does his own thing in the tank and bothers no other fish. He has eaten from my hand, but I don't do that very often. His teeth are sharp and he has drawn blood.

Prior to buying, I learned that cow fish can secrete and shed highly poisonous mucus that can kill an entire tank when they're under stress.
How are they with inverts? Ever come up missing one or more? And what are you going to do when he does secrete in your tank, ever thought of that? Those sharp teeth probably kill an expensive angel wouldn't they? These guys good in pairs?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store