Type of Urchin?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
There is an Urchin at the local LFS that looks similar to this one in the picture. Just wondering what kind it is and if it has any special requirements? I was never interested in them until I saw it at the LFS and noticed how beautiful they are. Anyone with personal experience?

purple-urchin-and-firefish.jpg

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
are they omnivores or algae eaters? I keep finding conflicting information... gotta love the internet :/

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
To my knowledge, they are just about entirely herbivorous (more specifically on seagrasses, but algae isn't excluded, IME). They will take meaty foods if they have to or if they are available, though. Never noticed any issues with corals, short of them tipping unfastened ones over.

Edit: another way to think of them is as a "facultative omnivore," if that makes sense.

Last edited:

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
any idea on the max size of this guys? I hear urchins can have very long lives if properly cared for.

Edit: I read. not heard... hehe

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
They usually get around a "billiards" ball in size at most. They can live many years if properly cared for.

One warning I think should come with all Urchins though is "They are not acrylic tank safe". They can do a lot of damage scratching an acrylic tank when they eat the coralline algae off of it.

edit: ninja'd again.. story of my life. ;)

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
alright. thank you for the info. I was wondering about the size because I found this site:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/rs/index.php

which listed them as being too large for home aquaria, but didn't give much else for explanation. So I was just imagining like a giant basketball sized urchin bouncing around in a tank. 3-4 inches doesnt sound quite as scary :D

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
They usually get around a "billiards" ball in size at most. They can live many years if properly cared for.

One warning I think should come with all Urchins though is "They are not acrylic tank safe". They can do a lot of damage scratching an acrylic tank when they eat the coralline algae off of it.

edit: ninja'd again.. story of my life. ;)
I lol'd, seriously. I was wondering when you'd catch it...

Not a ninja, but close...

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
alright. thank you for the info. I was wondering about the size because I found this site:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/rs/index.php

which listed them as being too large for home aquaria, but didn't give much else for explanation. So I was just imagining like a giant basketball sized urchin bouncing around in a tank. 3-4 inches doesnt sound quite as scary :D
A 3-4 inch urchin is pretty hefty, considering the damage they can do and what they can move.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store