Undergravel Filters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Would you recomend an undergravel filter?

• Yes, definately

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Not on your life

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • It's your call

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Go bother someone else

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mickeymacleod

AC Members
Mar 30, 2004
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
I am curious to know anyone's opinion on undergravel filters. I am thinking of getting one, however, I have hear mixed reviews on them. I have a ten gallon ten that I would like to use one in. Thanks in advance for your help. :hi:

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
depends entirely on the bioload, the amount of maintence your friend is willing to do, and the types of fish.

They can and do work well in some cases, in others they are to be avoided.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
I voted "it's your call." When well maintained, they can be just fine. That means you have to be willing to vacuum the gravel regularly. I'd avoid them with rooted plants and fish that dig.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Agreed with previous replies, The downfall of UGF's can always be traced back to maintenance in one way or another. Read this article
http://www.aaquaria.com/aquasource/rtrrfug.shtml
and print for your friend. I voted yes definately because I believe this is one of the best and most economical filters available, but they must be maintained to work long term.
The article covers far more than a standard UGF set-up, but has some good information for the basics as well. I personally seldom use anything but RFUG set-ups anymore.

got_nailed

AC Members
Mar 26, 2004
roanoke, va
Visit site
The way I look at it is that, there is a lot of maintenance that’s need to keep the junk from building under the plates. I had one in a 20 gall that had 6 guppies in it for 6 months. I did a gravel vacuum every week changing about 8 gallons of water. When I tore the tank apart I saw how much junk had built up under the plates. The normal gravel vacuum will never be bale to get the stuff from under the plates.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by got_nailed
..... The normal gravel vacuum will never be bale to get the stuff from under the plates.
That's what I have been trying to get across all along. No matter the maintenance, there is going to be a crud build-up.

There are much better ways to filter an aquarium.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
I'm an RFUG person (surprise, surprise!), but whether or not I use one depends on the tank set-up and what it is for. For brackish-water puffers and most cichlids, I wouldn't have anything else. For my planted catfish and rainbowfish tanks, I don't use them. So, I voted the waffle option - it is your call.

Most filtration techniques have their good and weak points, the trick is to match up the technique to the tank and fish.

Most folks do not, or will not, do the upkeep required for conventional flow UG, as well as over-sizing the powerheads used and frequently the gravel size as well - compounding their problems.

mickeymacleod

AC Members
Mar 30, 2004
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
Thank you everyone that replied. I think I will just stick with what I have for now. I wanted less work, not more. ;)

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
like most people said it depends on lots of factors. i use them on small fish with small tanks. i dont think maintenence is too high i just stick an airline in the upflow tube dealie and just siphone everything out from under the plates, it works pretty well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store