unexpected death

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DoctaQ

all your wheel are belong to us
Dec 12, 2008
Boston
i came home to find my sparkling gourami dead today, its insides are completeley hollowed out. interesting.
i dunno what killed it. it didnt show any symptoms, perhaps it didnt eat much but it did not die all skinny or anything. it looked fine.
the tank is pretty peaceful, one other sparkling gourami and a school of pygmy cories and a few khulis. two amano shrimp.
one of the cories are scratching occasionally in the sand but i dont see any ich

any suggestions as to the scraching or the death? parameters are pretty decent, no nitrites or amonia. nitrates below 20 ppm probably even less than that.

Fish Hobbiest

AC Members
Dec 30, 2007
it could have been a parasite (ich isnt the only parasite around)
did he show any signs at all of being sick?

Last edited:

Fish Hobbiest

AC Members
Dec 30, 2007
what are your water params? and whats the temp in your tank?
if he wasnt eating then something most have been causing him not to eat

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
How long did you have it? Sparkling gouramis do not live long, and it would be hard to tell how old they were when you purchased one. Most fish will go after other dead fish, which could explain why it's "hollowed out."

DeputyChiefJR

Glub! Glub!
Jan 18, 2006
Central Ct
I might also blame the other gourami. They can be suddenly violent and territorial.

DoctaQ

all your wheel are belong to us
Dec 12, 2008
Boston
well it was quite small when i got it, grew maybe 50 percent larger after i got it, although the same batch at the lfs is still quite small. i dunno how to tell its age i guess. if it grew does it mean it was young?

i didnt mention that i went on vacation about a month ago, could it be a latent stress reaction? because it was not well taken care of, two gobies died.
also the two are a breeding pair, they had two spawnings, during which of course the male became territorial. but there was no breeding happening here, i dont think it got killed by another fish but could this cory scratching disease have also killed it?

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
occasional scratching is normal for any fish. same as if you go out in public somewhere and see a person scratching their head - don't automatically think "lice!", just think "he must have an itch on his head". of course, if that person/fish is doing it constantly and really going to town on it, then there might be a problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store