Unexplained Fish Loss

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
The Comet raised flags immediately. I looked up the ingredients and two struck out immediately, fragrance and coloring. There are a couple of the individual chemical components that could be responsible as well, but I don't know how the configuration of the material is and they may be neutralized by their configuration in the compound.

As for fragrances and coloring. With fragrances you really have no way of determining exactly what chemicals are in them. The chemical formulas for fragrances are rarely available even on-line. Anything in them may be harmful or deadly to fish, and it may be released through interaction with another chemical, such as CO2 or a dechlorinator. You can often find the chemical formulas for coloring, but they are often quite complex and it's next to impossible as a hobbyist to determine what chemical reactions may take place.

I can't say 100% what the problem was. You said you're tetras have been living in the tank for years. My gut feeling tells me that there may have been some mild toxicity due to the residue left from the Comet, and some of your tetras were old enough that they couldn't withstand the stress. Like I said, I can't say 100%, but considering everything you've provided I'm wondering if it's something along these lines.

There are only four things I use for tank maintenance. Plain baking soda if I need a mild abrasive or need an absorbent. Pure white vinegar (no flavored vinegars), which is organic and breaks down quickly if there is any residue. Pure chlorine as any residue can be neutralized by a dechlorinator. And pure ammonia (not scented) as residual will be nitrified by the bacteria in the filter. You really have to be careful with ammonia and make sure it is rinsed off thoroughly. I usually only use ammonia on equipment before it is installed and before critters and plants have been added, basically pre-cycling only.

WYite

Reactions: Sprinkle

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sorry if I missed it in here, but did you loose all the tetras? How old were they? Anything else in the tank that survived?

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Thanks Wyomingate. The Comet certainly wasn't a good idea, and the idea of slight toxicity and gradual stress buildup makes sense.
I'm curious as to what you use to clean your co2 diffusers?
Lost about 7 of the tanks 13 inhabitants. Deaths seemed t be evenly distributed amongst the rummynose, white clouds, and pencilfish. All were several years old, some perhaps five or more.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Thanks Wyomingate. The Comet certainly wasn't a good idea, and the idea of slight toxicity and gradual stress buildup makes sense.
I'm curious as to what you use to clean your co2 diffusers?
Lost about 7 of the tanks 13 inhabitants. Deaths seemed t be evenly distributed amongst the rummynose, white clouds, and pencilfish. All were several years old, some perhaps five or more.
Nothing , because I don't have any. I'm not really a plant kinda guy. More of the "fish that eat plants" sort. ;) What plants I am keeping right now are simple, low maintenance types like crypts, anubias, java fern and some mosses.

WYites

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I agree that the comet cleanser theory does seem plausible, but did we discuss heaters?

Just tossing that in the mix because I've read of people having similar untimely deaths due to an intermittent heater short.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I agree that the comet cleanser theory does seem plausible, but did we discuss heaters?

Just tossing that in the mix because I've read of people having similar untimely deaths due to an intermittent heater short.
I always forget about heaters. I haven't used one in 15 years since I built the fish room because I have the whole room climate controlled. Out of sight, out of mind.

WYite

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Heater and tank temp seem OK. Replaced co2 diffuser today in case some of the Comet was still leaching out of the glass after several weeks. Unfortunately lost two more fish this evening after another WC. Down to just two now. The mystery continues.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Well now I'm really at a loss. There's only one other possibility that I can think of, and I think it's stretching.

I was taught early on, by the one mentor I found when I was still relatively new to the hobby, to never spray any kind of aerosol or liquid cleaner (like Windex) around my tanks so the spray couldn't contaminate the water as it dropped and settled. He also never used any kind of scented candles or incense, or anything like that, in the same room as his tanks. The thought was that gas exchange between the water and air at the surface could result in toxic chemicals in the water due to the scents in the air. I have always followed suit, but right after we got married 23 years ago my wife started burning scented candles in the family room where my tanks were. I didn't realize it for a while because I worked shiftwork and wasn't around. When I found out I was upset, but as I thought about it over the next couple of days I also realized all my fish were unaffected. I still don't allow anything of the sort in my fishroom today, but I can't say it would cause any issues either.

Which brings us to that stretch possibility, the incense in the air. I'm really having trouble accepting that as a reason, but at the same time I suppose there is the possibility. I am really at a loss.

I've been lucky. None of my dogs have gotten into a skunk. They did almost get into a badger, twice actually. Both times I managed to get them stopped right before the carnage started. They're good-sized dogs, but I'm not talking about carnage to the badger... ?

WYite

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
No chance you had hand sanitizer on your hands prior to handling anything pertaining to this aquarium? Whether dried/evaporated or not...?
With the pandemic, there's a whole lot more sanitizing on our hands than we are used to in our routines... and some contain some unexpectedly fatal chemicals, especially the "alcohol free" ones. Ive lost fish myself to this very thing a few months back.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store