Upgrading everything at once:

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cichlidlunak

AC Members
Apr 5, 2018
I had a 55g of cichlids. I upgraded to a 125g.
I moved the 2 canisters to the new 125g tank yesterday. I placed all of my sand on top of the new sand and used all of the same rocks. I tested my levels this moring and they are all solid...Nitrites0, Amonia0, Nitrate about 2.5ppm.

All things are good in the fishy hood!! :)

Here is my issue, My husband bought a new Fluval canister fx4 to handle the bigger tank. Obviously I cant just plug it in and remove the other two canisters.
I read about seeding the media so I started by placing the fx4's media in the 55g 2 days ago and then transferred them to the 125g. So they are weighted down at the end of the tank right now so they have been seeding now for about 72hours.

Today I am going to start up the fx4 and I would LIKE to take one of the 406 filters off so I can setup the 55g at my office.
SO do you think that the ONE 406 canister and the new fx4 will be OK or is that going to throw my levels way off balance?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I had a 55g of cichlids. I upgraded to a 125g.
I moved the 2 canisters to the new 125g tank yesterday. I placed all of my sand on top of the new sand and used all of the same rocks. I tested my levels this moring and they are all solid...Nitrites0, Amonia0, Nitrate about 2.5ppm.

All things are good in the fishy hood!! :)

Here is my issue, My husband bought a new Fluval canister fx4 to handle the bigger tank. Obviously I cant just plug it in and remove the other two canisters.
I read about seeding the media so I started by placing the fx4's media in the 55g 2 days ago and then transferred them to the 125g. So they are weighted down at the end of the tank right now so they have been seeding now for about 72hours.

Today I am going to start up the fx4 and I would LIKE to take one of the 406 filters off so I can setup the 55g at my office.
SO do you think that the ONE 406 canister and the new fx4 will be OK or is that going to throw my levels way off balance?
As long as you keep using the media from the old canister everything should chug away like nothing happened. Not familiar with FX4 setup but can you put the other media right in there? If not try to put in in a high flow area.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store