Upper Water Level Fish Recommendation Wanted

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

riph72

Registered Member
Mar 9, 2005
Hello,

I have a 180 litre tank which I have just restocked with:

2 Festive cichlids
4 Melon Barbs
1 Red Tail Black Shark
1 Bristlenose Plec (adult size)

All (except BNP) are pretty small at the moment. I believe Melon Barbs will reach approx 3-4", the rest are probably pretty well known.

As far as I can tell the shark and the barbs tend to be bottom(ish) dwellers, the cichlids seem more mid-water level types.

Can anyone recommend some upper water level fish that will shoal that I can put in with this lot that will be ok when they are approaching adult size?

I've had a look and my possible options are either Red Eye Tetras, or Congo Tetras.

Any other suggestions?

Regards,
Richard.

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
It's kind of my "fish of the month" but see if you can find some Gertrude's Rainbows, sometimes called Blue-eyed Rainbow. They're little yellow fish with blue eyes. Their caudal fins are high on the body and look a little like ears waggling. Very active, very attractive, they stay near the top (but they have harassed my cories for food when hungry), and they stay small, about 1.5" max size I think.

riph72

Registered Member
Mar 9, 2005
Do you think a 1.5" surface dwelling fish will be ok with 6" (potentially) Festive cichlids?
I'm not saying they aren't, but...!

If that size is ok, it means there are a lot more species I can look at than I thought.

Regards,
Richard.

kjd277

AC Members
Jan 27, 2005
Giant Daniels are great for the top and are very active. They keep your other fish moving. Also for color you can try Rosy Barbs, also active and are a bright orange/red.

riph72

Registered Member
Mar 9, 2005
Are Rosy Barbs upper water dwellers? I was surprised by how low the Melon Barbs swim, but I've read (since) that Barbs generally like to take food from the substrate (hence why they have barbs!).

Cheers,
Richard.

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Hmmm, I hadn't thought about the size. Not too sure, I suppose it depends on how big the Festive's get, not length, size, specifically, how big their mouths get.

Giant Danios might be a good choice, not so colourful but certainly fast and active. A little too active for my tastes, but then I'm not looking for dithers...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store