UPS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SynoSteff

AC Members
Jan 5, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
Hey People,

I am thinking of getting a UPS for my fishtanks as our national electricity provider has announced rolling blackouts for the next long while (maybe even a few years) and it would be nice piece of mind for when I am out during the day.

I am just wondering .. does anyone have any clue how many watts a regent 9500 air pump is? Want to try and see how long a 600VA UPS would run it for ....

thanks

chaibill

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Long Island NY USA
check the web site for the product or read the package
do you have one already it should tell you watts and volts on bottom of air pump.

what is a ups a generator?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
UPS is an Uninterruptible Power Supply - basically a battery backup, usually used to back up computer networks, things that go haywire if they lose power intermittently and need to be maintained on long enough to be properly shut down. For the amount you'd spend on a large-enough UPS to run a fishtank for any period of time, you'd probably be better off just buying a generator.

SynoSteff

AC Members
Jan 5, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
Hey,

Yeah, looked at my pump and unfortunately it isn't labelled with a wattage. I just want a UPS to keep a bit of water moving for oxygenation etc. I have some rather expensive fish in breeding setups with no plants so don't want them stressing out during the 4-6hr power cuts we have planned ...

A UPS should do the trick :)

wackydan

Fun, not crazy.
Nov 21, 2005
Matthews, NC
UPS is an Uninterruptible Power Supply - basically a battery backup, usually used to back up computer networks, things that go haywire if they lose power intermittently and need to be maintained on long enough to be properly shut down. For the amount you'd spend on a large-enough UPS to run a fishtank for any period of time, you'd probably be better off just buying a generator.
I've got a 1500 series UPS from APC that ran my small 16 gallon for near 24 hours... that's the heater and Filter. - granted it was summer time, so the heater wasn't exactly turning on a lot. You'd be surprised how long a UPS will run an air pump. Plus.... rolling black outs typically mean 1-2 hour outages, not 24 hours.

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
UPSs are good in a pinch and for short periods, however, we use them extensively with the ARMY, but a few pointers:

1) Plan on replacing the $80+ (ours are well over $200 ea.) batteries every 2 years under normal use, which is planed as 1-2 times per year
2) They are good if spec'd for well OVER your needs (most last about 4-6 hours if use-demand is doubled in the unit you get)
3) Repeated use greatly decreasing their viability, duration of power supply and life of battery.

I like the $300 generator solution in the basement myself. Downside? You need to be there during the power-outage to start the genny.

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
I like the $300 generator solution in the basement myself. Downside? You need to be there during the power-outage to start the genny.
umm...bad idea. I've heard too many stories about carbon monoxide poisoning.....

Have you considered getting a sponge filter and a battery powered air pump? Really, a small filter like that is all you need to last out a power outage. Most fish could easily survive without a heater, as long as the tank is above 70*'s.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store