upside down catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

online2

AC Members
May 15, 2002
Louisville, Ky
home.insightbb.com
My wife wants to add some upside down catfish to her 30gal, which has 6 zebra danios & 3 green cory cats. How would the upside down catfish fair with the zebra danios? Are the upside down catfish much trouble to keep? Do they only feed from the surface? I know they need lot of caves. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Online2

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
UDC actually don't feed from the surface at all. They cruise the bottom of the tank, flipping over to feed. They do need some god hiding places, but it doesn't have to be caves. Mine are very happy hiding out under the leaves of my crypts and anubias.

Get at least 3. They are social critters, and will be more social if they have some friends. Mine are in a community tank with gourmaies, a rainbow shark, neons, tetras, cories, plecos, ect. They don't cause problems with anyone, and are pretty much ignored by all the fish. Don't expect to see them a whole lot--they are mostly nocturnal. You may need to feed some sinking foods after lights out to make sure they get their share. I enjoy mine a lot--they have such pretty spots, and cute bulgy tummies.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
In the wild they are surface feeders (prefering insects), and will maintain this in captivity if there are no surface feeders in their tanks. But they are perfectly willing to go to bottom feeding in captivity if they have to compete against surface feeders.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Didn't know that--hmmm.. These kids were in a tank by themselves for a long time, and I never saw them come to the surface (low light tank, even). Maybe something they learn, as well?

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
Were they true upside-down cats? I've picked up non UDC Synos mislabelled at the shop before now.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
A number of the Synodontis and relatives are surface feeders. There are at least 3 species called USD cats plus the giant inverting. Feed at twilight with FD or live insects and they hold the behavior. Feed food that waterlogs and sinks relatively quickly, they learn equally quickly where to find the food. It is an interesting family to me, I have 9 tanks of them..

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Makes more sense. I have tons of floating plants, so tend to feed sinking foods more to avoid food going unnoticed. I'm going to be splitting the tank up soon, so these kids might move to a home where they can display surface feeding.

Nice to knowmore about them!

As to being true or false, I can't say. Mine have a wider color variation than most pics I've seen, and are about 3 inches long, Whisker, tail and ray count match the specs from PlanetCatfish. I don't know much more than that.

DodgeIntrepidV6

AC Members
Oct 26, 2002
New Haven, CT
www.cardomain.com
Be sure to leave some food such as bottom feeder tablet or shrimp pellets at bottom near night. My guy hides in his cave during normal feeding time, and only comes out at night. Other then that he gets along fine with everyone esle. Great choice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store