upside down or right side up catefish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sweet thang

Registered Member
Jan 24, 2003
NB, canada
Visit site
A couple of weeks ago I bought what I was told was an upside down catfish and yeah the thing does swim upside down but I don't think that's what I have.
It is completely identical to the upside down catfish except for one thing.....it isn't light on top and dark on the bottom, it's the reverse and it is approx. 3 or 4 inches big already. It also seems to be nocturnal since it spend 90 percent of it's time hiding in a large rock cave.
Personally I figure it's one of many types of african catfish and I want to keep it regardless I'm just kinda curious as to what kind of little monster is lurking in my tank lol.:)

Thanks in advance for your help

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Check Planet Catfish under synodontis family. There are several fish that will display the inverted swimming, all called UDC. Most stay under 4-5 inches. Mine are about 3-4 right now, in just under a year, and show a very wide color variation from all the pics. I have one that is almost completely white from his nose to his pectoral fin--just a very faint hint of splotching.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store