upside down pleco should I be concerned??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Mine was at the surface like that once, but he was fine otherwise. Plecos are weird, as long as nothing else is going wrong, he should be fine.

eksmit3

Registered Member
Jul 29, 2019
I have a pleco that just celebrated his 10th year with me on the 4th of July. He has been exhibiting this behavior for at least the last three years. I have come to the conclusion that he does it for attention. I will enter the home office where I keep his tank and he will just float to the surface and hang there, floating upside down until I lean over the tank and blow a little puff of air onto his belly. He then skitters back to bottom and resumes doing what plecos do. Kinda weird, but the old guy seems to like it. I was concerned with some of the things I have read online about this behavior (hungry, poor water quality, lack of oxygen, etc...) but none of these seem to apply. At this point, he's been around long enough where he has his rituals and I just have to play along, I guess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store