URGENT - betta is dying

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Re: the peas, I give my guppy and others some nuked pea about every 3 days. The eat what they want and don't overstuff themselves on it. I always wind up vacuuming out leftover pieces.

Remember to remove the skin and squish slightly. I find that they like it better if it's more mushy, than firm. I usually put some in the microwave for about 30-35 seconds. Pour off the water and let it cool in tankwater in a cup. For that matter you can nuke it in tankwater. I always worry that nuking it in tap water will leave some chlorine in the pea, but I do most of the time and just cool it in tankwater.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
Thanks for that info about Ick Attack. I have used it in the past (tank with inverts) with good results but have not thought about using it for other parasites. Laurabb--if you use this product--let us know how your Betta does--its puzzling. Could it be a genetic defect?

laurabb

AC Members
Jan 7, 2007
Melody, thanks for the info. I don't have a good LFS around here, but I'll look for Melafix.

He's been more active the past few days, but is more lethargic again today. He did have a white string hanging from him this morning, but it could have been a bloodworm casing that he was passing. I haven't seen anything else to indicate parasites, although he is thin (lost weight).

I was able to get a couple of bad pictures of the bulge that's on his abdomen beneath his gills, but in front of his anal opening. The second photo shows how the space underneath his gills seems wider than it used to be (if that makes sense), and the bulge is just below that). I know the pix are bad, but they're the best I can do.

betta bulge 3.jpg betta bulge 2.jpg

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Be sure to look for Betta Melafix. Supposedly it is tweaked for Bettas, specifically. I do see the bulge you are talking about. It is a puzzle.... It really does seem to me to be abnormal....:confused:

:sick: I'm sorry he's sick.

I wish I knew what the answer is.....
I hope he will get better...
Don't give up... fresh water... good small bits of food, love and attention... you're doing all that.

icemanx23

AC Members
Nov 30, 2008
seems to me like internal parasite or bacteria problems usually cause by contaminated live or frozen food. Why don't u try some antibiotics like tetracycline.

fineexampl

noob
Feb 21, 2009
Mount Laurel, NJ
Did this fish survive? My betta is showing similar symptoms and i'm concerned. He's lethargic and having difficulty swimming.

If he lived, what was used to make him live?

laurabb

AC Members
Jan 7, 2007
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Yes, he did survive, and is back to normal. He's great!

The only thing I did was a lot of water changes. I have always faithfully done water changes, but throughout this whole episode I did pwc 1-2x a day. No idea if it's what saved him, but he really was at death's door. I think I was lucky.

Hope your betta makes it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store