urgent help needed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CHIMERA26

AC Members
Dec 20, 2004
i am currently running a fo tank with a few shrimps and 2 clowns in just noticed my clowns seen to have got whitespot/ich what can i do to get rid of this

please help a desperate salty keeper not wanting to lose my clowns

cpn_aaron

recovering fishaholic
Mar 3, 2004
Melbourne, FL
Visit site
do you have a quarantine tank? If so I would say net the clowns and add a copper based ich treatment. Your LFS should have them. You can also raise the temps in the quarantine tank to help your fish fight the ich with a water heater that might otherwise cook your shrimp. However, if you can't net them (I can't since my tank is large, my fish are wise, and too many cracks and crannies in my live rock) or you lack a quarantine tank I would reccomend buying the more expensive CopperSafe Rid Ich treatment. It's safe for invertebrates like your shrimp, corals (if you decide to get some), and bacteria in your live rock. I keep a bottle of the Rid Ich and full spectrum antibiotic they make in the cabinet of my stand. I've only had to dose once for ich when I foolishly didn't quarentine a new arrival. It didn't kill an invert and everyone seemed to recover quickly.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I agree I used a product called Ruby reef kick Ich and it seemed to do the trick. I also did massive water chages before doseing the tank . In other words I followed the directions on the meds and did about a 50% water change prior to applications. So, I'm not 100% sure if it was the meds or the water changes or a combo of the two.
hth
chris

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store