Used tank price guideline

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruddah Chrispy

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
Redmond, WA
Visit site
Aloha kakou,

Like many folks out there, I occasionally dream about getting another tank. I keep my eyes open for a 'good deal'. But what is a good deal? I've had a general rule of thumb that less than $1/gallon is a good deal for the tank alone. Maybe $2/gallon if a good stand is included. A hood/lights are nice sweeteners. Frankly I'd prefer not to get someone else's gravel, heater, filter, livestock, or air-powered-diving-dogs.

What do the rest of you look for?

BigOh

African Rift Lake or bust
Aug 28, 2001
NY, USA
www.african.uklinux.net
I look for big tanks that are cheaper than what you would pay for in the store.

Depending on where it would go and what it will be used for ... I'll judge the overall condition.

Also take into consideration age of the gear.

I really only look for tanks possibly stands ... not the other stuff.

Jukax

AC Members
Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
That $1 per gallon rule falls through once you start hitting the big tanks. You'll be hard pressed to find a good quality 125 + for the equivalent of $1 a gallon.

This is assuming US dollars, Canadian dollars changes the equation a lot :(

Bad for me since I'm in Nova Scotia - there's a lady in my town with a used 90g for sale with hood and 250W heater who wants $600 for it. It's not even acrylic :(

Ken91gsx

AC Members
Feb 8, 2002
The Big Apple, NY
Tanks prices

Here's my two cents....
A good deal is the being able to resell it down the road without taking a lost.
Any used tanks would be half of the store or online prices as a starting point and can go up or down depending on the condition.
The half off also includes other accessories like stand, light and etc.
So the $1 a gal. rule is a good starting point to follow.

inxs

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Litchfield, CT
www.picturetrail.com
It's also a good idea to look at what else you will need for the tank you are keeping and add it together to get an idea when package deals come up.

For example I bought my 125 new (All Glass) for $199 + tax = $211 that is 1.69/gal.
You can usually find some good deals at some stores in bigger cities and there are often sales.

However when I was finished setting up my planted tank I think the total was about 2500 which is about $20 per gal.

For a reeftank that size it could easily be double.

The advantage is that you can custom put together your setup if you buy it piece by piece however if you are going for a good deal you may be much better off getting it all as a package even if you spend more than a dollar per gal.

BTW in the 2500 dollar setup the fish totaled less than $100 with the most expensive ones $4.

fishlips

Quality Takes Time
Dec 22, 2001
Harwinton,CT
Hey Juk, Just for comparison a 90g in the local paper is selling for $150.00 for tank, stand etc. Sounds like a good deal compared to 6 bills. I smell a road trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store