Used tanks??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wbaker01

AC Members
Dec 26, 2005
Parker, CO
Are there any pros and cons to buying a used tank? Obviously, used tanks are cheaper than new ones but is there anything else to be aware of??

Ryank327

AC Members
Jul 22, 2005
Make sure it doesnt leak of course, always ask to have the tank filled up first before you buy it, check for scratches and knicks. Some can be ignored but if there is a knick near a corner where two pieces of glass adjoin I would stay away from it. Make sure the silicon is in good shape and not peeling. Usually if the silicone is yellowing thats a bad sign. Look around the frame of the tank on the inside usually theres a little tag saying when it was built. Thats pretty much all I can think of for now, Good Luck!

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
shop around

If you are lucky, you may find someone who will throw in all the equipment for nearly nothing. All the STUFF adds up, nets and chemicals, filters and cleaning tools. Throw out the food if you don't know how old it is, old food can be lethal.

Clean everything well, first with salt to gently scrub. Then, maybe vinegar to gently remove hard water buildups. Then if needed, use CLR on remaining hard bits and/or use a new razor blade on it, gently.

Before you fill the tank in the house, fill it in the yard, support the bottom well and evenly, to see if it holds water.

CatLover

Rummy Nose Tetra Fanatic
Jan 4, 2006
Texas
Make sure that you rinse it really well like suggested above just in case the seller did something stupid like wash it with dish soap. Dish soap will kill fish.

Are you getting a used filter?

If you are getting a used filter and stuff too, check it really carefully. If its really old, you might be getting a bad filter that you might not even be able to find replacement cartridges and filter media for.

What size tank are well dealing with?

I would not reccomend getting a tank used if it is a bowfront or a hexagon or something unusual like that.

Once again, clean everything REALLY well.

good luck!

akroxy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
"I would not reccomend getting a tank used if it is a bowfront or a hexagon or something unusual like that."

Why? I really like the looks of a bowfront and was thinking about getting a larger bowfront tank. Based on your comment that may not be a good idea. Is a traditional rectangle better?

Roxann

CatLover

Rummy Nose Tetra Fanatic
Jan 4, 2006
Texas
This is just my opinion on bowfront tanks:

1. Unless you get a custom made stand, it can be hard to find one that fits the bowfront just right

2. If you ever want to replace the hood, it can be a nightmare to find one that fits just right

3. Sometimes, the funky shaped hoods don't have a really good place to put your filtration/heating

4. If it is not made really well, the bowfront can put a lot of pressure on the seals

Can be a case by case basis for each tank Some are made better than others

Unusual shapes can be fine, just be carefull

Once again, my opinions
Hopefully others will post their opinions.

CatLover

Rummy Nose Tetra Fanatic
Jan 4, 2006
Texas
Another thought, see what kind of light it has, I like the fluorescent better because it does not heat up as bad and it doesn't make the fish's colors look weird like the incandescent lights can

Once again, opinions Both my tanks are rectangular.

Is this your first tank?

Just remember to think about if you ever might have to replace hoods, filters, heaters, etc.

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Price vs value

If this is a small tank, you ought to be able to get it for nearly nothing. A big tank may come with a lot of stuff included, likely high quality stuff.

I bought a 20 gallon with iron stand for $20, no top, no lights, no equipment, bare tank. I bought an Oceanic 55 gallon with pine stand and wet/dry less pump for $50. I bought an Oceanic 105 gallon, nearly new, fully furnished with beautiful oak cabinet, dual Eheim filters, full of big fish, decor, all food, meds, and tools for $500.

Beware of a Walmart special, with thin glass tank, pressboard stand, incandescent lights and no name equipment.

Quality stuff is fine to get used, cheap stuff is likely broken or ready to break.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store