using aquarium pump to drain/fill water?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bravofleet4

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
Hi,

I was thinking it might be better for my back if I didn't just lift a 5 gallon bucket over my head every time for me to pour back in the water I take out when I'm changing the water. I used to use individual 1 gallon jugs either but I like to dechlorinate all my water at once and now use a single heater to bring the water closer to the temperature in the tank.

I was wondering if I could use just put an aquarium pump at the bottom of bucket with some tubing leading over the lip of the tank to pump water back in. In that case, how powerful does the pump have to be? I mean it has to be able to do the equivalent of moving several pounds against gravity right? since 1 gallon is approx 10 pounds and while the diameter of the tube can vary I'm pretty sure the length will be at least 6 feet so it has to be able to push the weight of whatever water is in the tube. I have doubts that a small aquarium pump that does 180gph can do the job but I'm not sure.

Also where can I find appropriate tubing? I know that vinyl tubing gradually degrades and releases carcinogenic chemicals. Is the tubing used for siphons safe though?

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
the tubing used for normal siphon maintenance will work fine. As for selecting a pump with the proper strength, measure the distance from ground to floor, we'll say it's 6 feet as you measured. When you select a pump, find one with an outlet the same diameter as your tubing (or get appropriate tubing to match) and then see that it is rated to, say, 200gph at a 6-foot head. That will set you up just fine, and 200gph will empty a bucket in a matter of seconds.

steffish

AC Members
Apr 18, 2006
I have done this with a small pond/fountain pump & extra 10 gal tank. Took a little while because the output & tubing was only 1/2" and you have to watch because you can't pump all the water out & run the pump dry. Does save some on your back.

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
This thread is proof that AquariaCentral can read my mind. I was thinking of this exact question tonight. :)

gagaliya

GNOME POWER!
Nov 20, 2005
NJ
www.happyreward.com
why dont you just get a python ( http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3728+3910&pcatid=3910 ). much easier to deal with....

people do use water pumps, but those are mostly for 200+ gallon marine tanks with semi-automated pre-mixed saltwater, and they use commercial grade precision pumps that cost hundreds of dollars, to pump in and out exactly the same amount of water.

For a 50-100 gallon freshwater tank, really just get a phyon...instead of trying to hook up a water pump and create a mess...

jones57742

AC Members
Mar 18, 2006
San Angelo, TX
I was wondering if I could use just put an aquarium pump at the bottom of bucket with some tubing leading over the lip of the tank to pump water back in. In that case, how powerful does the pump have to be?
B4:

You will need to look at the head/discharge curve for a pump.

Is the tubing used for siphons safe though?
Yes.

TR

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
i use a pump to push water into my salty tank,. i mix it in a 30gal trash can and use the pump from a coralife skimmer (60 gal size) to mix it and then i use the same pump that fits my python hose exactly and refill my tank,.. works great just goes a bit fast,..lol i just take the vac piece off and hook the bare hose to the pump and refill...

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I am not very big (and old to boot), and I have two tanks which I change about 50 gals of water every week. If I had to carry buckets, I will DIE!!!

I have a large "Brute" plastic container--also it is on wheels!!!

I use a PH (Maxi Jet) to pump water in and out of tank. I adjust water temp in the brute, add Prime and pump back into tank.

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
I pretreat my change water, then pump it upstairs from the downstairs bathroom using a 30 ft head height tranfer pump from Ebay (50$). I use the same 25 ft tubing to siphon my tank water out onto the upstairs walkway. Standard plastic garden hose fittings will work for both your siphon and pump attachments.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store