Using clove oil to humanely euthanize my betta?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
:( Long story short, my betta Phoebe has been sick with just about everything for as long as I've had her . She is now septic, and the infection is now at the base of her petctoral fin, extrodinarily close to her gills. I'm making one last stab at healing her, and if that doesn't work, or should she get in a worse condition, I'm going to have to put her down humanely. I know clove oil will do the trick, and I'll get some soon, but I would like to know how to go about doing this correctly. Thanks

Lightning Bug

My fish talk to me
Nov 4, 2009
i don't know what to tell you about clove oil, but my condolences about the situation. i hope things work out for the best.

for what its worth... my first betta, he got sick and i ended up spending literally ten times more money on medications for him than i had paid for him originally. i ended up deciding to just do the best i could to keep him in a good tank (clean water, good food, love, all that stuff) and stop medicating... turns out that after i took him off the medicines he got better and ended up living something like another two years. i still miss that guy, he was my favorite. so idk what to tell you but that's my two cents worth about medicating bettas. maybe what is supposed to fix 'em doesn't really work, and actually ends up hurting the fish. have you tried finding some indian almond leaf or indian almond leaf extract as a substitute for traditional meds?

sailedNJ

marine biologist & architect
Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
Sorry to hear about your betta. If you decide to euthanize her, using clove oil is easy.

1.) Get yourself an empty milk or water gallon jug, cut out the top of it so it's wide enough to put a fish into it easily. Then fill it up with water from the same tank your fish is in & add the fish to the jug.

2.) Mix 3 drops of clove oil into 1 cup of water. Once you've mixed the clove oil & 1 cup of water thoroughly, add it to the gallon jug with the fish in it. Within a couple of minutes you should see your fish get "sleepy" (e.g. swimming wobbly).

When you see this you can go ahead and add another 3 drops to the jug. Your fish should then float up to the top like it's dead, but it still might be breathing. Wait another 2 - 3 minutes & add another 3 drops & observe. Your fish should be dead by now, but if not, then go ahead and add a few more drops until it is no longer breathing. The amount of clove oil you'll need will vary from fish to fish.

The key is to introduce the clove oil gradually (not all in one shot) in order to minimize the stress to your fish.

When your done throw out the gallon jug. Clove oil is potent & being an oil it's hard to rinse off well.

Magic_FROST

AC Members
Jan 25, 2011
I just lost one of my favorite bettas after seven years of sharing my kitchen with him. He was with me through an abusive and violent relationship, the birth of my son, and three moves. I watched him wither away and die. He went over a week without eating before he died. I have his brother, but 7 years is the oldest I have had a betta. I dont know how much longer he will be with me. If he too, goes a week without eating, I will be using the clove oil.

It sucks losing such an expressive, friendly fish like betta splendens. I empathize with you.

JK_Fish

AC Members
Oct 2, 2010
Ga
Thank you everyone.

Lightning bug, I've done everything I know how to, and everything others have suggested as well, including simply leaving her alone. I didn't use that one product, but since I've had major sucess with just tannins from dried oak leaves, I tried that for a while, and that didn't work either.

SailedNJ, thanks a bunch for the instructions, I really do appreciate it.

Last edited:

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
Just seeing this now, a month after the fact. I'm so sorry. SailedNJ's instructions look great. I use vodka, too, to speed the process, but clove oil done right is a good way to handle it.

Again, so sorry. It's so hard to do this with a fish you've had for a long time, especially bettas - they're like people with fins.:) But after many years, I'm convinced it's a better technique than the other options people suggest, like freezing (which is NOT painless) or clubbing. I wish more vets were open and equipped to help fish folks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store