using python for water changes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tammy911

AC Members
Jan 26, 2003
st. lazare,quebec,canada
Visit site
This may sound a little silly, but after reading the posting in 'freshwater' about
using the python for water changes, the first question that comes to mind is " How the heck do you use those vaccuums without sucking up the fish?!" When I use just a siphon hose, I have to put the fish net around the end in the tank cause ALL my little guys are just dying to find out if there is any food in that hose! I would be scared of sucking them right down the drain :eek: ! I think that a python is a great idea and would make my life a whole lot easier. I have a 75g and change 10-15 gallons per week. Lotsa buckets! And it has been suggested to me on this forum that I should be doing just a bit more. I would buy a python is I weren't so nervous....

Anaxus

This space for rent!
Mar 4, 2003
Louisiana
Visit site
My fish also think anything you put in the tank is food including fingers, test tubes, and the vacumm tube. What I do is insert it and place the end on a rock, but leave a gap for water to get through. The fish then leave the end alone and nip at the top part. I have never had troubles with them when vacumming the gravel.
Also on the python there is a valve close to the end if you notice a fish gets into the tube you can turn the valve off.

Skittyfish

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
South Central,KY
Visit site
So far I have had two mollies and one dumb krib get into my tube.
I usually keep the end of the tube right on the gravel, but sometimes the nosier ones do get caught, I just pull the tube up out of the water and the fish falls back into the tank. I also don't keep the water running at the faucet. This causes the siphon to be a little less strong.

superjohnny

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Sol
They don't really suck that hard. I had an angel get in the tube just this weekend and all I did was close the valve (next to the part that goes into the tank). Then pull it out of the water and it all falls into the tank, fish included. It freaks them out a bit, but doesn't hurt them.

Sometimes I chase them with the siphon and try to suck them up. It drives my wife nuts hehehe They can easily swim out once they get in... if they can find their way out they can easily swim against the current.

vance

AC Members
Dec 8, 2002
madill,ok
Visit site
python and chorinated water

ive just moved from a city where they did not add chlorine to the water and it was safe to just fill up the tank from the faucet after syphoning. now im in a place where the y add a lot of chlorine. any suggestions? thanks

Skittyfish

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
South Central,KY
Visit site
I use stress coat mainly because when I first started keeping fish it was the only thing the LFS carried. I still use because I have never had any problems with it. I don't measure though, I just squirt what I think is an appropriate amount into the stream of water going into the tank from the python. This works for me. I know some add it to the tank after the water has been put in. To me, I want to get rid of chlorine and chlorimine before it had a chance to affect the fish.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Re: python and chorinated water

Originally posted by vance
ive just moved from a city where they did not add chlorine to the water and it was safe to just fill up the tank from the faucet after syphoning. now im in a place where the y add a lot of chlorine. any suggestions? thanks
Many of us add the dechlorinator to the tank before or as we fill the tank without ill effect. Some people have bought those fertilizer dispensers that attach to garden hoses to add dechlor as the tank fills, but the consensus is that those are unnecessary.

HTH,
Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store