Using sand as a substrate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mooseman

518 and counting!
Nov 27, 2002
Utah
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am setting up a new 29 gallon tank and I am considering sand as a substrate. I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with.

First, what kind of sand should I use? Can I use plain old sand or do I need to buy a special "aguarium" sand? I have seen some marine sand at my local lsf, would that work?

Are there any down sides to using sand that I should be aware of? Do I clean it the same way (vacuuming etc..)?

Lastly, if you have found anything out over the past few years of using sand as a substrate that you think would be helpful please pass it along to me.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

christopher1260

Expert Novice
Nov 2, 2002
Athens, OH
community.webshots.com
first, i wouldn't waste my money on "aquarium sand." i use coarse sandblasting sand, which is about $6 for a 100 lb bag. it is an attractive black color. you can also use play sand. you MUST wash your sand before you put it in, or your tank will be a milky mess. the best way to do this is in an old pillowcase. you can clean it with a vacuum, but you may want to hold the vac about an inch off of the gravel to keep it from getting sucked up. also, you should stir it about once a week to keep anaerobic bacteria from growing. good luck!

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
Try not to make the sand too thick, that way you reduce the chance of getting anerobic spots. Get a few cories because the help turn up the sand. GL.

BTW, I am also getting sand for my tank. I will be getting Onyx Sand by Seachem, it is very nice, but a but pricey, about 12.49 a bag at Big Al's.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store