Using Sand Paper on Glass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Flamfish

AC Members
Jun 27, 2009
Mt Carmel Pa
www.myspace.com
there is a painters tool, a long handle for razor blades, for scraping paint off windows. should be able to reach with that.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
In my experience vinegar, and any other over the counter liquid calcium remover will remove minor hard water deposits the only problem it take days and weeks of rubbing & scraping rather then hours.

There are 3 major levels of water stains:
(1) Simple water stains that are on the outside from spill overs or short term exposure. These can be removed with vinegar with some hard rubbing over a short period of time.
(2) Embedded mineral deposits can only be removed with abrasives that are harder then calcium / magnesium but softer then glass OR harder then glass provided the abrasive is so fine that the scratches to the glass are microscopic and appear perfectly clear to the naked eye. For this there are glass buffing compounds you can buy, or what I use is Turtle Wax Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound which has a soluble paste made up of very fine volcanic ash, also a glass so its about neutral with glass.
(3) Glass damage from years of exposure to oxidizing air/water mixed minerals where the minerals actually replace the top layer of glass, and or scratches. All of which can only be repaired or removed with abrasives harder then glass starting with such things as course sand paper and working your way down to progressively finer materials until it is polished out.

Last edited:

nagukush

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Friends, I have this Acrylic Scratch Removal Kit - http://www.marinedepot.com/Rainbow_...ums-Lifegard_Aquatics-RB1551-FIMTCK-4-vi.html

Can I use the pads that came with the Kit ? If something can be safely used on acrylic, then should'nt it be safe for glass too ?

I want to use these pads because I can insert it into the inside Algae Magnet and clean the glass from outside. Other wise I'll have to lift the heavy hood off to access the glass...

Kindly guide me...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store