using sand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

counrygirl

AC Members
Feb 12, 2007
can I use sand in the bottom of my tank I use it in saltwater but not sure about it for fresh water and what about so some old crush coral that I have in a saltwater tank and took out

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
don't use the dirty old crushed coral. not only does it trap a lot of debris and poop, but it hardens the water and raises pH, which is really not necessary for almost any freshwater fish. for freshwater, make sure you are using an inert (silicon-based) sand rather than one that is made of calcium carbonate or aragonite. pool filter, construction, play, and synthetic sands are all safe, though synthetic sands might potentially be abrasive if you have bottom feeders.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Make sure that your sand grains have rounded corners. If not, and a fish "rinses" with sharp sand... Yeah.

That's why I use play sand from Lowe's that costed $3 for 50 punds

Cory Keeper

LED Guru of Aquaria Central
Aug 7, 2007
I use play sand for my tank, love it too, so do my cute little cory cats as well. Though you may want to get a good canister, and aim the spray down, and a little to the glass so it has a little current (not much, just enough) to move waste and debris so it doesn't collect. It insteads gets picked up by the filter for removal later. My sand looks very clean too.

smyke

Oct 9, 2007
Connecticut
Real Name
Mike
I like sand a lot better than gravel for its looks, but the debris is a lot more visible on it so it requires often vacuuming.
I used pool filter sand from Leslie's and its great because you can deep vac it and it settles right back. From what I hear some other types of sand do not settle back as fast when you stir it up.

counrygirl

AC Members
Feb 12, 2007
I used play sand for now ,I like the look but will try pool sand later and see what the difference is but so far it looks nice thanks for all the input

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store