Using Seachem Purigen

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
I've used it 24/7 in all my tanks for over 5 years, because it not only produces superb water clarity, but rids the tank of many undesirable elements by adsorbing potentially harmful dissolved solids, as declared by Seachem.
IMO It greatly helps to maintain the high water quality & conditions needed to keep discus thriving.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've never read of a negative issue from using Purigen. I personally use that space in my canisters for more bio media. I just run bio media and sponge for mechanical media.

KGNickl

Registered Member
Jul 17, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Real Name
Kyle
I run it in all my tanks. I don't have to worry about phosphate in the water. The tank stays crystal clear. I stopped running a carbon pad and started using purigen instead in my tanks (1 is very planted and the rest are moderately planted).

tommy d

AC Members
Sep 6, 2016
North Carolina
Camera Used
Panasonic
In reading about the use of Purigen my question is this: How much do you use? I have a 36 gal bow tank and I'm running two Fluval C4 Outside filters. The filter chambers are set as follows: 1) Fluval filter pad and polishing pad. 2) Activated carbon pellets and Fluval Clearmax, all in one bag. 3) Fluval bio chamber. I purchased the 250ml jar of Purigen and 2 of Seachems "the bag." I still have room to fit the purigen into the chemical chamber with the carbon and Clearmax. So my question is "how much do you put in the bag?"
Thanks
Tommy D

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Just a layer of not more than approx. 1/2" thickness, to readily allow water to flow through freely and come in contact with as many Purigen beads as possible, so they can adsorb impurities easily.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store