Vaporization for Marine salt?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Which crab

• Fiddler Crab (uca species)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Red claw crab (Perisesarma bidens)

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Vampire crab (Geosesarma species)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Riptiide

AC Members
Jun 27, 2016
Instead of buying marine salt from my local pet store, may I extract the salt directly from the bay? I am creating a brackish crabitat for my friends fiddlers (lets just say he forgot to do research).

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
not sure what bay you're talking about, but the only real problem i can think of with "grow your own" salt is that you don'y know what else is in the water.

ignoring any biological material and hydrocarbons, which should burn out when you bake the salt dry, there may be unusual metal salts, fertilizers, etc. from the local environment.

it ought to work, but really it sounds like a lot of work to me just to get sea salt

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
also keep in mind that salt does not precipitate solids equally. Different elements precipitate out at different salinities. Depending on how you collect it you may end up with a very unbalanced mix.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I agree, sound like a lot of work for not enough return.
If you have access to fresh SW, I would rather use that.

Riptiide

AC Members
Jun 27, 2016
I agree, sound like a lot of work for not enough return.
If you have access to fresh SW, I would rather use that.
Yes I have a lagoon that "borrows" water from the san francisco bay. The lagoon itself is filled with kelp and other marine plants/algae. This along with some freshwater should do the trick! Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store