Vegetable Filtration, Ever Try It

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WailuaBoy

AC Members
Aug 10, 2015
My growbeds have filled in nicely. The top photo is Java Moss and some type of Asian Spinach. Second strawberries and mint.

IMG_9465.JPG

IMG_9466.JPG

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
For me, sounds crazy but I've attempted herbs on my 250 gallon installed with hydroponics on top before. Grew a little, but it didn't work out though, because not enough light was getting through the windows, and I think a lot of potassium, some trace nutrients was missing from fish crud.. so they all turned into mush. I'm sure if I installed some intense hanging lights for them, and dosed a little bit of P + trace every now and then, they would have flourished.. but meh, that's going to up the electric bill and etc even more.. gonna just go buy them at the grocery.. just sticking with my house pothos and free window lighting currently haha.. Fresh herbs from the tank is awesome though :D.. maybe one day when budget's right. Anyway nice pictures and cool method dude.

Reactions: WailuaBoy

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
If you're doing any kind of aquaponics that you intend for human consumption make sure you're using fish food that is organic and also safe for human consumption. While the food may be perfectly safe for fish it is entirely possible some elements could pass through the fish and settle in the veggies and not be safe for you to eat.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Wish there was an aquarium brand that sells pure organic fish food out there.. would be pretty awesome; all we got are some cheap fillers and some that have wheat and gluten, artificial colors, etc that are in flakes and pellets.. in my opinion which isn't really healthy.

Anyway graphicgr8, so you go on this forum too? Haha good seeing ya, sir. :D

Reactions: GraphicGr8s

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Personally, I don't think organic fish food is necessary. Its an option, if you're someone who believes in only eating organic, then by all means go right ahead and make sure it is organic food. But if you're like me, then you are likely already eating farmed fish that are fed with food that isn't organic. You are also likely already eating vegetables that are grown in aquaponic systems with fish that are not fed organic food. So, really as long as the fish food says its safe for fish intended for consumption, I don't see that as an issue.

Reactions: Rbishop

WailuaBoy

AC Members
Aug 10, 2015
Well, these particular growbeds are connected to a 2000g reservoir with cichlids and catfish. I actually do feed an organic pellet, that's actually marketed for aquaculture. Mostly I feed water plants/vegetable and fruits. They get a ton of duckweed, azolla, hyancinth, lettuce, strawberry tops, banana, compost worms and really what ever I have extra of. What I would worry about are fish that have treated by toxic medicines in the past, could enter the food chain. I raise all my own fish, so I know what they have treated with. I don't use dechlorinators either in this tank.

Reactions: Tifftastic

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
That's more what I meant than the organic part.

Food meant for fish for human consumption

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
Wish there was an aquarium brand that sells pure organic fish food out there.. would be pretty awesome; all we got are some cheap fillers and some that have wheat and gluten, artificial colors, etc that are in flakes and pellets.. in my opinion which isn't really healthy.

Anyway graphicgr8, so you go on this forum too? Haha good seeing ya, sir. :D
I'm on a few of the forums my friend. Some are more active than others and some I am more active on than others.

Good seeing you too.

Reactions: NeonFlux

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Here's a link for fish food
www.almostnaturaltropicalfishfood.com/ my friend swears by them but she's not eating her fish either.
I went to an aquaponics talk on a small commercial level at a fish club recently. Very interesting! Pounds of fish per volume of water to maintain a continuous fert. level for the plants (& additives needed in our area) in a (mostly) closed greenhouse system. This was for mostly fast growing "baby greens" that can be harvested every 6 weeks or so using catfish (so cute!), that were are sold to high end restaurants.

Things like tomatoes can work but not on a money making level.

Reactions: NeonFlux
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store