Veggies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gst4life

New 20 gallon!
Aug 5, 2006
Maryland
Do tropical fish (See below) like neons etc. Like vegetables like kiwi,oranges, etc? I was trying to make there diet of shrimp,bloodworms, and flakes more healthy and different. :hang:

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
try it, I don't think it will hurt anything. As long as you don't leave it to rot in the tank, it should be fine. You might want to try cutting them into small, bite-size pieces for smaller fish like the tetras. I just can't see neons taking bites out of whole fruit :D Goldfish will, but they're piggies.

Some veggie material is good to clean out their digestive systems. Especially for omnivorous fish like tetras, they should really enjoy the change! Let us know how it goes :)

just don't overdo the veg's for the betta. They are true insectivores (a type of meat-eater), so too many fibrous foods can lead to bloating. So for my bettas, I just give cut up peas like once every other week just to keep the ol' pipes clear :D

gst4life

New 20 gallon!
Aug 5, 2006
Maryland
I will try this :D But I have to purchase some fruits first!

Bigbob55

AC Members
Oct 12, 2005
I've put various fruits and veggies in my tanks, mostly for my crawfish.

The snails (mystery snails) really go at it. And they crawfish loves it. Mollies will peck at it, but they munch down on plants all day, so thats not surprise.

The tiger barbs, zebra danios, and giant danios don't really go for it. They usually "investigate" it, but i've never really seen them eat it much.

sarcare

AC Members
Aug 3, 2006
Your tiger barbs turn their noses up at food!!!! I just had one scarf down almost an entire pea, showing that they will eat anything they can possibly cram in their mouths--even if it only barely fits. Are you sure your tiger barbs are ok? I've never heard of them as picky eaters--rather they are pigs on fins!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
My tiger barbs like romaine, slightly cooked zucchini & cucumber, so do my clown loaches. They tried banana once & liked it but it does fall apart in less than an hour so I fed it right before a water change. I've seen pics of some clown loaches eating watermelon.

quiksilver

quiksilver
Aug 2, 2006
Australia
pumkin is great. with peas make sure you cook them and remove the skin then mush them a bit as you put them in the tank then the tetras will go crazy for it.

Bigbob55

AC Members
Oct 12, 2005
sarcare said:
Your tiger barbs turn their noses up at food!!!! I just had one scarf down almost an entire pea, showing that they will eat anything they can possibly cram in their mouths--even if it only barely fits. Are you sure your tiger barbs are ok? I've never heard of them as picky eaters--rather they are pigs on fins!
I've fed:

Cherries, Carrots, Lettuce, Cucumber, and tomatoes.

Tiger barbs didn't seem to care for most of them. I think its mostly cause its too tough on the outside for them to really get a bite out of it. And after its "opened up" the crawfish usually guards it.

Even lettus though.... it would start rotting after a day or so and the barbs hadn't really touched it. They devour the flake foods though...

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
Bigbob55 said:
Tiger barbs didn't seem to care for most of them. I think its mostly cause its too tough on the outside for them to really get a bite out of it.
I've found it's really helpful to blanch (boil lightly) veggies and even fruit, as it softens the produce to help fish realize it's food :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store