Venus Flytraps

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I have a spare 2.5 or 5 gallon fish tank that I want to use for venus flytraps. What should I use to plant/put in the tank. Which tank would be better to use? The 2.5 is a bowfront and the 5 is a hex. Both tanks have lights on them. I had them years ago, but they died on me. I have a spray bottle I can use to mist the tank. Any ideas would be helpful. I don't have the plnats yet. I can either get flightless fruit flies or get small crickets.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
V-Fly traps do not need much "soil" nutrients, because they eat insects. So any plain soil will do. They like lots of moist air, so an enclosed tank maybe nice.
They do not eat much, an insect once in a while is enough. I think they sell canned fruit flies.

Notyalc

AC Members
Sep 5, 2016
The Main reason People kill Dionea muscipula is because the fail to recognize that this plant needs a winter rest from November to April. You can do so by wrapping the plant bareroot in paper towels and a ziplock bag. Put in the refrigerator during these months. Repot in fresh medium once you take it out. If you fail to do this you will only be killing this Paticular plant. I have hed theh for up to 15 year's doing The winter rest

Notyalc

AC Members
Sep 5, 2016
I have a spare 2.5 or 5 gallon fish tank that I want to use for venus flytraps. What should I use to plant/put in the tank. Which tank would be better to use? The 2.5 is a bowfront and the 5 is a hex. Both tanks have lights on them. I had them years ago, but they died on me. I have a spray bottle I can use to mist the tank. Any ideas would be helpful. I don't have the plnats yet. I can either get flightless fruit flies or get small crickets.

Notyalc

AC Members
Sep 5, 2016
I would also Highly recommend full sun for Venus Fly traps.It brings out more robust reds and better nectar production for catching its prey.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store