Video of my 11inch Bala

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gagaliya

GNOME POWER!
Nov 20, 2005
NJ
www.happyreward.com

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
gagaliya said:
nice fish, the top fin looks especially cool. Just curious what's the width of your tank and did you raise this bala up from a baby or got it when it's already big? thanks
i've PMed him about this matter, since we both live in anchorage. he got it already big from our local petco. they were keeping it in a little 30-40 gallon tank with some black skirts. I assume it was there because someone retured it.

Web Gazelle

Guardian Of The Cave
Dec 1, 2004
Planet Earth
That's a nice looking fish. PLease can we avoid a debate on what size of tank a Bala Shark should be kept in.

kody1192

AC Members
Mar 2, 2006
Web Gazelle said:
That's a nice looking fish. PLease can we avoid a debate on what size of tank a Bala Shark should be kept in.
what do you mean debate they need big tanks plain and simple...lol...no way around it

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
glad to see yours is doing so well in the 72, I was feeling guilty that I can only upgrade to a 75 for now but mine is nowhere near the size of yours (about 3 1/2" or so right now) so knowing your's at 12" is doing fine in a 72 sure helps me out. I do plan on upgrading as soon as I can but it will be a matter of months before I'm able to do so. :D

graphicdesign_r

Tact is for the weak.
Oct 31, 2005
In your nightmares.
Web Gazelle said:
Why? Don't be so weak.

The fish would appreciate a bigger tank, but 72 gallons should hold one Bala OK for awhile. Without other ones to school with (6 balas in a 72 isn't a good idea), he won't show typical behavior, but he won't be horribly appointed (like being stuffed in a 55). I think as long as he doesn't add a bunch more balas he's fine. May want more tank someday...

Maybe a few cats ( I think the smaller whiptails are interesting as a clean up crew, some get quite large also so be careful) on the bottom and the tank is fully stocked with a great centerpiece fish. If they are going to sell balas in the hobby market, this is a more positive scenario than 90% of the cases out there.

:clap:

gagaliya

GNOME POWER!
Nov 20, 2005
NJ
www.happyreward.com
fishcatch22 said:
i've PMed him about this matter, since we both live in anchorage. he got it already big from our local petco. they were keeping it in a little 30-40 gallon tank with some black skirts. I assume it was there because someone retured it.
it would be very interesting to see if the bala would have gotten to the same size if it was raised in the 72G. Actually i think the OP has another small bala in his tank, guess he will find out in a few years.

fishmonkey

AC Members
Jul 15, 2006
Achorage, Alaska
He has grown just a little since he has been in there

I will get a bigger tank for these two. I'm just getting my knack back after being from the awhile. When I first put the big Bala in there I threw up a piece of tape on the tank to get an idea of his size. Since then he has pushed out about an 1/8 of an inch. The little bala has grown too. Since they have been in there, both of the Balas have enriched in color. Not that I want to pimp my fish out, but the Big Bala has me wondering if it's a female just because of the belly area. You can see it in the vid. I am not getting any more Balas while the 72G is going. Graphic D did mention some cats and has me thinking about adding them for some janitoral duties. What about Ottos? I appreciate all who have commented on the Balas I sport.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
Most if not all bottom need to be fed more than excess food, so don't get any fish unless you want the fish for more than "janitroial duties" and have done your research on the species.

Ottos are easy to keep, but are unaccepting of non-algae foods in my expierience(although other forum members say they are), so make sure you have a lot of extra algal growth in your tank before getting a few(make sure you get atleast 3, there schooling fish).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store