Video of my female tailless con and her male!^_^

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice vid and great work on the rescue/recovery!

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Did the defect pass onto the fry? Btw, even without a tail, thats one gorgeous fish.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
^_^

Nice vid and great work on the rescue/recovery!
thank you

Did the defect pass onto the fry? Btw, even without a tail, thats one gorgeous fish.
all of the fry this batch had tails, ill watch the next batch but im leaning towards it being and old injury at this point.
she is very pretty, the tank is a little dark so its hard to see all of her colors.
The male has some really neat purples and blues in his fins as well.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
oh! forgot to mention...i got pink and striped fry out of these two..is that normal to have pinks? or is one of the parents mixed? i think about 40% were pink you can even see one in the video

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
anyone?

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
From my (very minimal!) knowledge of convict genetics - the normal color is dominant over the pink color. So if you breed a normal to a pink you would get all normal looking babies. But if you bred two of those babies, you would get 75% normal and 25% pink. Of the normal appearing babies 2/3 of them would carry the gene for pink, although they appear normal colored.

I have no idea why you got 40% pink. There must be more to the story...

I had marble convicts several years ago. When a marble convict mated with a normal, all of the fry appeared normal colored. I never did breed the fry to each other. I got rid of them before they had the chance! The last thing I wanted was more convicts. I'm not sure water is even necessary for convicts to breed...

That's great that your mama doesn't pass down her tail defect. Although I do think she's pretty cute, tail-less and all, and she's got really nice colors!

Lisa

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
From my (very minimal!) knowledge of convict genetics - the normal color is dominant over the pink color. So if you breed a normal to a pink you would get all normal looking babies. But if you bred two of those babies, you would get 75% normal and 25% pink. Of the normal appearing babies 2/3 of them would carry the gene for pink, although they appear normal colored.

I have no idea why you got 40% pink. There must be more to the story...

I had marble convicts several years ago. When a marble convict mated with a normal, all of the fry appeared normal colored. I never did breed the fry to each other. I got rid of them before they had the chance! The last thing I wanted was more convicts. I'm not sure water is even necessary for convicts to breed...

That's great that your mama doesn't pass down her tail defect. Although I do think she's pretty cute, tail-less and all, and she's got really nice colors!

Lisa
hmm...i have not found much about there genetics..as fast as they breed you would think there would be posted or listed somewhere
The female was a rescue from PetSmart... and the male came from the same store about 5 months later... so not sure if there is more to the story...maybe they are both from pinkXblack genetics?

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
hmm...i have not found much about there genetics..as fast as they breed you would think there would be posted or listed somewhere
The female was a rescue from PetSmart... and the male came from the same store about 5 months later... so not sure if there is more to the story...maybe they are both from pinkXblack genetics?
It does sound like yours are both hiding the gene for pink. That's nice, since you will get both colors from 1 set of parents.

I don't know why it is so hard to find genetic info on fish. Maybe it is all written down in notebooks in the fish rooms of various breeders and just never gets made public?

Lisa

Lisa

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store