violent ...tetras?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Apri

AC Members
Sep 17, 2011
I have a ~15-18g tank... im not sure on the exact size because it's a very strange shape, taller than it is wide and hexagonal... anyway, i have 6 neons, 2 cardinals, 2 shrimp and a very old, docile beta in there. the neons can't stand each other. they are constantly attacking one another.
im wondering if it's a space issue? the tank may be ~15gs or so but they all hang out in the same level of water, which is a relativity small space.
should i get more decor to break up the territories? it's fairly stark in there.
i don't know. any ideas would be nice.

thanks

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Neons not liking each other? Maybe they aren't really neons? Can we get a pic or two and maybe a video of the behavior?

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
My neons have started really picking on each other lately too. lots of chasing and nipping. Seems to be the largest 2 females that are the culprits. Probably going to give them a time out pretty soon if they dont work it out, my smallest male's fins are starting to get pretty ragged.

Apri

AC Members
Sep 17, 2011
They are defiantly neons but i could get a pic if it would help anything. It seems like it's the cardinals that usually start the problems though, as the cardinals are ever so slightly larger..

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Wow! I have never heard of that behavior in them. Try to add some plants even if they are fake, to break up the sparse tank and give them a place to hide or explore. It could be not enough decor to give them a sense of territory.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Probably just a hierarchy thing.

bangme33

AC Members
Aug 24, 2008
neons attacking each other? i keep all kinds of tetras and the closest they come to attacking each other , is in chasing and playing around . never had them beat each other up before

AngelFishRock

AC Members
Mar 12, 2011
I have some von Rio tetras that are nasty towards eachother. It sounds like you should add a few more neons, bigger groups usually spreads out the aggression. I wouldn't worry about them injuring eachother though.

Doc7

AC Members
Nov 18, 2010
I would try adding more tetras (2-3).

I do consider my silver-tip tetras to be "aggressive" not necessarily violent but they took over the swimming area of my 20 G tank when in there with a school of cardinals. Noone was allowed to swim in the middle of the tank without being chased out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store