Vortex diatom filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, that's the rub. There are limits to wattage of home UVs, but not to the flow. It just whips on by the effective UV...although the sellers may not mention that. I did a lot of research before I bought my old lost 1, including several inlines.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I guess you can find extremes in aquarium pumps and UV units that don't work, but I can't imagine you having a pump on a 110 that has a bigger output as a small pond pump that does like 2000 gal p/h. You can clean that water with a 11 or 13 watt just fine. If the flow is still too high, it can be easily reduced with a bigger hose on the outlet. I have used them both in ponds and aquaria, they work fine.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
A number of years back when I first began keeping altum angels I decided to get a small UV unit for use in setting up their tank and then for the first few weeks after they arrived. I had no clue about UV in terms of what I needed to know to have an effective setup. I founf this site which is a commercial site, but the owner has a lot of really food info on UV. It had formulas for haw to select the right wattage and low rates.

I am nit suggesting one shop there or not, what I do think is you will learn more about how to use UV properly/effectively there: https://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html#categories
Be warned there is a ton of information on this topic on that site, to read it all will take many hours, but to gain a good working knowledge takes less time.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, dang, I thought I knew what part I needed & consulted with a "real" plumbing supply place. But NO, there's another missing piece! At least now I have a better idea...but it's a small wattage UV, maybe not enough for my 110g...still thinking...

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I know it's a long ago thread but my husband will be getting his beloved Vortex diatom filter this weekend!! Our plant club is finally! meeting in person & it's a "clean out your old crap" event, in addition to regular plant swap. Another old timer has a barely used Vortex filter & will take a 20 long & an old metal stand in trade. He probably would have just given it but I had offered up the tank & he decided to try emersed plants on his deck so a win for both of us...& a little more room in my garage :) I'll also be getting a couple baby BNs from the same guy. First new fish in a very long time, whee!

I love my club!! We're being ultra Covid safe/paranoid, outside, masked & no shared food (sniffle) but a meet at last! We did a few Zooms & maybe picking up plants from someone's porch, but it's not the same as talking to people & the fun of seeing old friends & maybe making some new 1s. I'm very excited, can you tell?

I checked on parts for the UV in other places, no go. But, just maybe, the Rena filter hose might fit it...it's close...but I need to deconstruct 1 to find out, maybe later...I'm not going through all my "stash" of old stuff by next weekend, just what I can easily get to...there will be a next time.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Interesting looking filter assuming what I saw online is it.

How many watts does that motor run on? Looks like a very substantial motor.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I cannot wait to see the pictures of your whiter than white water!

?

• Haha
Reactions: dudley

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I don't know the watts, FF. It's just for temporary polishing not full time use, 20-30 minutes/tank? Our largest tank was a 55g back in the day...& besides I have solar electric panels now & don't care :) . I do remember it's a major PITA to charge it (getting the diatomacious earth coating over the bag), way beyond my patience level, so it was always my husband's job. His new toy, his new job ;)

I did have a friend that had a BIG diatom pool filter so maybe these smaller 1s could be used more permanently. But they do clog fast depending on the amount of crud & we had UGFs back then, so lots of fine crud & the old really weak filters, Dynaflows, corner boxes, undersized Whispers, etc. Since diatom filters remove very fine particulates I bet they'd likely clog pretty fast compared to modern HOBs & canisters & various media. We also didn't have much in the way of live plants so not much, if any, plant debris. I'm not sure, but I think a few tank tear downs with cruddy UGFs & gravel burned out the motor. I just know after we moved & eventually tried to use it, the motor was toast. Maybe there's some maintenance issue we didn't address? Oil somewhere?

dougall, I just hope I see a whole lot less green water :D. I doubt there will be pics...another PITA to upload to a hosting site let alone taking pics. Yeah, I hear you snickering, it's probably super easy with a smart phone...& the right app...but FF don't you still use a hosting site? My ancient 1 is really, really slow & now with ads!...another thing I don't have patience for :mad:

I'm just going to wish my husband a Happy Fish Father's Day next Sunday with a new/old gift. I know he's thrilled already :D That's part of our almost 44 years of wedded bliss & almost that long of fish tank keeping fun!

Reactions: FreshyFresh

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I will cross my fingers for a lack of green water... If it doesn't work you should maybe add a bunch more stem plants to use up the nutrients in the water.

Just don't hurt anyone with the big bags of DE.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store