Vortex diatom filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, that's the rub. There are limits to wattage of home UVs, but not to the flow. It just whips on by the effective UV...although the sellers may not mention that. I did a lot of research before I bought my old lost 1, including several inlines.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I guess you can find extremes in aquarium pumps and UV units that don't work, but I can't imagine you having a pump on a 110 that has a bigger output as a small pond pump that does like 2000 gal p/h. You can clean that water with a 11 or 13 watt just fine. If the flow is still too high, it can be easily reduced with a bigger hose on the outlet. I have used them both in ponds and aquaria, they work fine.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
A number of years back when I first began keeping altum angels I decided to get a small UV unit for use in setting up their tank and then for the first few weeks after they arrived. I had no clue about UV in terms of what I needed to know to have an effective setup. I founf this site which is a commercial site, but the owner has a lot of really food info on UV. It had formulas for haw to select the right wattage and low rates.

I am nit suggesting one shop there or not, what I do think is you will learn more about how to use UV properly/effectively there: https://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html#categories
Be warned there is a ton of information on this topic on that site, to read it all will take many hours, but to gain a good working knowledge takes less time.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, dang, I thought I knew what part I needed & consulted with a "real" plumbing supply place. But NO, there's another missing piece! At least now I have a better idea...but it's a small wattage UV, maybe not enough for my 110g...still thinking...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store