Want small, inexpensive LED moonlight, without DIYing...possible?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I just got a 20 long from Petco's awesome sale :thm:

I happened to have a hood that I saved from a 29 gallon that leaked (glad I kept it instead of throwing it away, like I almost did several times!)

Unfortunately, not the strip light.

I do have a strip light from a 10 gallon - which fits inside of the spot for the 29/20L strip light, perfectly...

Except of course, it's much too short.

Right now I have the strip light flush to left. There are about 9" left on the right.

This would have probably fit - not sure, would have to measure:

Of course, it's discontinued! And since it's discontinued, I can't find the specs on it anyway.

So what about something like this?

Oh yeah, that costs $60 :eek: Wouldn't I just buy a strip that fit, for that price?

So guys...here's what I want to know.

Isn't there some kind of small, inexpensive LED moonlight option, not the strips that mount inside of your existing hood, not a super bright spotlight for growing corals, but just a cheap little square LED fixture that will fill up the space I have, and allow me to plug it in at night so I can get some moonlight effect?

I have looked everywhere, but short of booklights and such, cannot find one. I swear I have seen things like this at the dollar store before (for use as undercabinet lighting, I believe) but can't find anything online!

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
Isn't there some kind of small, inexpensive LED moonlight option, not the strips that mount inside of your existing hood, not a super bright spotlight for growing corals, but just a cheap little square LED fixture that will fill up the space I have, and allow me to plug it in at night so I can get some moonlight effect?
I know you can't find'em today @ $ stores, but yes, I have seen them there.

Keep your eyes open @ discount stores...I have several of these I have picked up as closet or cabinet lights. Most take 3 1.5V batteries...4.5volts. Adaptable to a 5 volt supply with a diode or resistor in series....easy diy.

If it doesn't HAVE to be LED...I found a ~5" T5 mini-flourescent @ wal-mart that I used as a moonlight for several years til I wore it out.

GoldLenny

Senior Member? Do I get a 5% disc.?

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Thanks, everyone! I'll take a look at those links tomorrow...thanks for the tip on Walmart :) I will check around there and Lowe's.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
If you aren't doing plants, you could just center the light in the middle of the hood. You could actually probably get away with Java Fern and Java Moss at low light.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of, but I figured as hard as it is to find some LED or mini fluorescent lighting that works for me (kj5kb described best what I am looking for), one 8-9" light would be easier to come by than two 4-4.5" lights!

I may just skip the moonlights and put some black cardboard in the two "blank" areas on either side of the strip.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store