Want to get reef life - Need assistance

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aries

"Umm...., what is that!!??"
Jan 19, 2003
Ohio, Dayton
Visit site
I have my SW tank established and doing well and want to finally make it a reef.

Question Topic 1
Lighting: Typically this tank would have (96+55)Watts/30 gallons, thus making 5WPG. However, since I have a 4" DSB, the approximate gallons would be reduced to 26G. Can I consider it to be 151W/26G=5.8WPG? Should I change out the 55W PC to become a 96W PC for more light?

Question Topic 2
Lighting: I have the non flat top reflectors from AH Supply. Do these really output more light into aquarium? Do I have to consider this in placement of coral. For example, it states 162% more light with the reflectors, so I "could" burn low light corals if not properly placed??? Should I consider more WPG with these reflectors?

Question Topic 3
Selection: What type of corals are suggested for a new reefer (setup below) but not new aquariast? I was looking at getting Zoanthids to start with, any suggestions for specific species? Then if I can keep these alive, what should I get next? I want compatible types but finding info on this is difficult, at least for me. I am thinking moving to Soft Corals, and possibly mushrooms. Then if there is room / compatibility, stop at LPS Hard corals (but I may not even get there). Should I start with Mushrooms?

Question Topic 4
Plants: How can I control the growth of the plants/algae (beside trim and remove)? I have Padina, Sargassum, Neomeris annulata, and Valonia (I think). The only one that is a bad one is the Valonia. Do I have too much light for them so they keep growing (right now only the 96W is active). Will the corals compete for their nutrients (I would not think so, but i dont know since they both use light but use different water column nutrients).

Question Topic 4
Coral Feeding: I have read SOOO much info on feeding corals and I am quite cornfused now. is there a general guide (frequency, type of food etc) I can read that is trusted?

Any help will be appreciated.

SPECS
30G w/ 20G Long Sump + Fuge w/ calerpa algae (~40G total water volume)
96W PC (10K + Actinic)
55W PC (10K + Actinic) (not on currently)
~35 LBS LR w/ Orange/Red/Green/Purple Coraline algae growth in 30G
~10 LBS LR in 20G Long
4" DSB
Moderate water flow in 30G display (1 PowerHead and diffused sump output via Mag5)
Use RO water and mix in salt by self for 24H b4 adding.
Rio Protein Skimmer (actually does well in producing skim - proper terms I dont know).

LIFE
1 Ocellaris clown
1 Blue spotted yellow goby
1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp
1 Cleaner shrimp (both get along bc cleaner larger than pistol)
1 Firefish
1 Sand sifter star (doing very well - regenerating 2 limbs after incident with PH).
Cleanup crews (astrea and Nassarius snails and hermit crabs)
Way too many marine plants (came across w/LR)
Sponges (Scypha, Structured (1 red and a few white))\
Lots 'O pods
Some flatworms (Amphiscolops sp)

PARAMS
PH 8.4
Sal 24
NH34 0 ppm
NO2 0 ppm
NO3 0-5ppm
Ca ~450 ppm (starting use of supplement)
PO4 0 ppm
Cu 0 ppm
Supplement Iodine for shrimp molts.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
YOu have a long, complex list there. I will try to start off (running out of time to do it, though)

1) Don't let wpg fool you. Focus on lighting intensity instead. For that size tank, the power compacts would work (though you'd be limited in coral selection), but wouldn't have the intensity of say, T5s or metal halides.

2)No, it is more intensity=more light per given area of space (a smaller space in this case, so more light-dense so to speak). Again, steering you away from wpg.

3)Mushrooms, zoanthids (assuming they aren't expensive ones to start with) should be fine overall. Then you could move on to hardier soft corals, like "leather' corals

4)less light is one control, but not favorable in a reef aquarium. Therefore nutrient limitation is a control. Yes, corals would compete for nutrients (or rather, their zooxanthellae would) and space, but algae are more efficient and effective, usually.

5) broad question. The corals you listed are mostly absorptive feeders, with some zoanthids capable of prey capture.

Aries

Jan 19, 2003
Ohio, Dayton
Visit site
Thanks thus far. I know, i like to write novels apparently.

1) How do i determine intensity (lumens) of my lamps without a tester. Documentation is minimal. Bought at AHSupply. My guess is they are around 8000 lumen or so. But that is an average for the 96W lights.

Aries

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
Aries,

If I were you I'd go on www.reefcentral.com or www.reeffrontiers.com and look up a local group. There's got to be one in your local area.

I'd just grab some frags of various stuff. Really, whatever people will sell you.

You put them in your tank and see what you like, and what likes your light.

Worse case scenario, you lose a couple small frags that didn't like your light or tank conditions.

Best case you fill your tank with all sorts of cool stuff, you get to watch them grow from babies, and you have many happy years of fragging to come.

Of course then there's the scenario where you group mushrooms or xenia or something that you end up despising because it takes over your entire tank..but even that is fun in it's own right, I would think.

As to your specific questions, I know that AH Supply is highly thought of with freshwater tanks, and I'm sure they do a nice job with the 10ks and actinic lights, power compact are generally the lowest recommended setup on the forums. The bulbs are expensive and don't last long, they direct a lot of light in directions it shouldn't go, they get nice and toasty, etc...

But, since you have them, and they are definitely good enough to support some zoos and mushrooms, you might as well use them, and then in 6 months, instead of buying $100 worth of new bulbs, you get yourself a 175 watter or a couple of T5s.

Anyway, hope that helps!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Thanks thus far. I know, i like to write novels apparently.

1) How do i determine intensity (lumens) of my lamps without a tester. Documentation is minimal. Bought at AHSupply. My guess is they are around 8000 lumen or so. But that is an average for the 96W lights.

Aries
I phrased that incorrectly. Your question wasn't long at all. Rather, the answers were longer and more complex. There is no need to get actual intensity measurements. I am referring to relative intensity. For scale:
400w metal halides > 250w halides > or = T5s (depending upon many factors) > 175w halides (one or two exceptions)> VHOs > power compacts > normal output fluorescents.

Beyond that, there is the depth of the tank. In a shallower tank, you can get by with less "wattage" and it would still be more intense due to the shallow water. You could have a 6 ft tall 30 gallon tank (hypothetically speaking) and have a 400w metal halide over it and a standard size 30 gallon--which scenario is more intense overall? Also consider the efficiency of a lamp--one that is capable of emitting more light per watt of energy vs. one that does less for the same wattage of energy (i.e. T5s vs. mercury vapor lamps). Which one is more intense? Do you see why wpg is a poor indicator of light intensity? reflectors increase this efficiency even further (most even intensify light by both focusing a smaller path of light as well as reflecting light that would normally be lost). As far as the needs of the corals go, that is where research comes in. Every coral has different preferences and tolerances. What you are interested in doing is recreating a relatively broad swath of those preferences (since all you can do, in most cases, is generalize relative needs).

Aries

Jan 19, 2003
Ohio, Dayton
Visit site
Alright then, I don't want to have to change light down the road - so my path for now has been changed.

I am on a pseudo budget - what is a good MH brand/light/fixture to buy for ~$300 (if possible)? Which are better - pendants or fixtures?

Are there DIY MH fixtures (similiar to DIY PC from AH Supply)?

Is there a trusted/good guide to MH?

Thanks!!!!

Aries

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
What are the dimensions of your tank? (rough are fine)

I put together my 175w setup for ~$100, but I got some KILLER deals on a few things. (closeout hamilton ballast for $39, for example).

And I DIY'ed myself..just bought ballast, bulb, socket and reflector and made the hood.

Aries

Jan 19, 2003
Ohio, Dayton
Visit site
It is a standard 30G (in inches 36 1/4 x 12 5/8 x 16 3/4). I have a 4" DSB as well. Water level is a constant 2.5cm from top.

I am not afraid of building my own hood - that is what I wanted to do in first place with the PC, but now I have changed paths to the MH.

I also have two 8cm fans hooked up when light is on to keep things cool so heat is not an issue.

Is there a special ballast for MH? Or will a ballast for PC will as well (already have a Fulham Workhorse 7 220W).

Seems simple enough!!

Thanks!

Aries

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store