Wanting to do an angel tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aparker2005

AC Members
Apr 15, 2007
Arkansas
Hey guys........I'm really wanting to get a neat looking angel tank going. Right now I have a 55 gallon planted tank with 2 angels that are about 4 inches. They are a pair and I've had them for about a year and a half now. I also have 10 Cory cats and 5 Platies.

I was wondering if it would be okay to add any more angels, and if so, how many? The angels at my LFS are only about an inch right now, so would they be okay with the angels I have now?

I just really want to end up with angels and corys in my tank because I think those are awesome fish.

Would it be okay to keep a few platies with the angels? I do like having the bright oranges and reds from the platies swimming with the angels. Thanks!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
A mated pair? You may have some territory issues introducing ones that small. I would find bigger ones and move your existing ones to a QT tank. Rearrange the main tank completely and let the new ones get settled in first. Even then you might have some issues.

Urnesha

AC Members
Feb 7, 2008
I know nothing of angels but as someone who has platies you might want to think twice of having them in the tank if all you want ultimately is a angel/cory tank. Unless all your platies are the same sex you will soon have more platies and more platies and more platies. lol Unless the angels and cories eat all the babies!

Good luck with your tank!

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
If your angels are a true pair then I dont think you will have any luck adding much of anything to your tank, if you want a tank full of angels I would find a new home for your 2 large angels and add several of the same size at the same time.

xDetroitMetalx

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Moro, OR
I just started on mine so I'll relay the info I remember and what I've learned so far. I have 1 adult angel 7" from top fine to bottom fin, 1 black veil baby angel, 2 silver baby angels, a Gold Gourami, Royal Plec, and a Juvenile BGK. I was informed here that 4 angels will do so thats what I have in my 55gal planted tank.

I was worried about adding baby angels because I figured the adult would beat on them. I added the babies strait into the water which was the best idea only because it was more for the adult to pick on at first. Instead of focusing his power on only one angel he would switch from one to the other giving the other angels a break. It only took roughly three hours for my adult to satisfy his curiousity and now I have a peaceful tank.

My concern for you is that you already have a pair in there. If you did drop the two new babies in the two you have now may beat the new ones up together. It's 2 adults to beat up 2 babies which is pretty bad odds for the new comers. Of course each angel has a different personality so maybe they will ignore the new borns or lose interest quickly like mine did or kill them.

I'm not sure about leaving the other fish and if that is over stocked or not so I'll let someone else solve that. The cool thing with the platys is that new born platys will make nice food and fun for the angels and you won't be overwhelmed with babies anymore.

I would say try and go for it. A planted tank with lots of cover will be a plus because the babies will need to hide. My angel is bad at hide and seek and loses interest quickly when they hid from him. 4 angels is def more than enough for me in my 55. Also my babies are roughly 3" fin to fin. I know some shops sell them at 1 1/4" and those ones are really delicate and hard to raise. I'd get the biggest / prettiest ones you can find. If you decide to do this watch them closely for a couple hours. If the pair doesn't lose interest and beats on the babies hard don't feel reluctant to remove the babies and return them.

My typing sucks today, I am sorry.

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I concur with what others have said..if this is a true mated pair you may have some serious territorial issues.

are these breeding?

aparker2005

AC Members
Apr 15, 2007
Arkansas
They laid eggs about 3 weeks ago. I just took a bunch of stuff out of my tank and I am going to put in some new stuff and rearrange. I'm about to head to the LFS and buy some more plants and some fertilizer. Do you think by rearranging the tank, and buying some larger angels if they have any, I will be okay?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
can't say for sure.
the tank is a 55 so there is room.which is part of the equation.. I currently have 2 pair mated pairs in a 55..they will tussle from time to time and it can get violent..but so far no big issues.

you will have to watch for this.. where has the mated pair set up 'house'? it may help. but in any case be prepared to move the new fish or the mated pair..do you have a 29 handy?

DavidZ

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
NY
Good luck, I had a 65gl with a pair and when added 2 more started to have problems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store