Wanting to start 2 new tanks using gravel from a cycled tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cactusgal

AC Members
Dec 1, 2009
Alberta ,Canada
I would like to start 2 new tanks a 10g and 20g ,I have a cycled 5 gallon (that has way too much gravel in it) and a 60 gallon that is cycled.
So my question is can i start the 2 new tanks with the gravel from old tanks and get them cycling that way without fish?I'm not interested in adding ammonia..from the bottle...but would like to use fish food.
We are leaving for holidays for 2 weeks and i can have someone add fish food everyday(since they are coming to feed the other tanks),but dont expect them to do water changes and water testing.

I am just not sure if adding fish food will be enough to keep the old bacteria growing?

Has anyone done this before..if so how much fish food should I add a day?

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
if u add the exsisting gravel from other tanks ur tank should be instantly cycled depending on how much gravel u added

angyles

AC Members
Nov 4, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
you will be instantly cycled, but that bacteria will die withou a new source of food. I've never done this with fish food, but it should work jsut fine. it'll rot and feed the bacteria. Jsut check your params when you get back to make sure everything's good.

IslandHopper

King of somewhere hot!
Nov 16, 2009
KIAH
feeder goldfish ... or the dead shrimp method would work better for an extended absence. A dead shrimp, or similar sized piece of raw fish, will take a few weeks to rot... supplying ample ammonia to keep an otherwise empty tank going during that time.

cactusgal

AC Members
Dec 1, 2009
Alberta ,Canada
ok sounds good,
I will either use brine shrimp or get some raw shrimp to throw in them before we leave...thanx for the ideas.
I just really dont want to add fish incase they need a water change when we are away.
I can try it this way and test the water when we get home...hope it works!

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Anything organic and decaying will add amonia to the tank to keep the cycle going/spread the bacteria colony in the tank. Doesn't matter if its fish food or shrimp or lettuce or a melon rind. Any decaying organic matter will work.

If the tank is going to be empty (ie no fish) go ahead and add a nice bunch of fish food the day before you leave. NO need to add more each day. It won't deteriorate completely overnight- it will continue to add ammonia as it breaks down. Load it up. the bacteria from your existing cycled media will need a food source so it can grow and spread and if there are no living fish in the tank it won't matter how high the ammonia gets. I would put in a good dose of fish food since you don't have to worry about a spike and just do a major water change/gravel vac when you return, before you add fish.

I have "fed" empty tanks to maintain the bio filter in between fish, either on breeding tanks that happened to be temporarily empty or quarentine tanks. It works great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store