Warm Vs. Cold... Hmm

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

What do you use to fill up your aquariums?

• Cold

Votes: 9 13.6%
  • Warm

Votes: 57 86.4%

• Total voters

FishJunki

AC Members
Jul 24, 2007
WOW!!! OK I feel like an idiot now!!! Lol. I will start using warm water from now on I guess!

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
I put Y-adapters (with shutoffs) on my washing machine taps, then ran a short hose each from hot & cold taps to another Y to combine 'em. I connect a hose to that to fill the tanks with...temp adjusted by feel, plus I monitor the tank temp while filling.

...and even the coldwater tank gets a little hot water...otherwise it'd be TOO cold.

jpd1821

AC Members
Feb 11, 2005
Michigan
I allow mine to sit out and reach room temp, so it is a few degrees cooler then my tank... cooler water also helps trigger spawning in corys

theotheragentm

AC Members
Nov 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I tend to match just under my tank temperature as a burst of heat is probably worse overall. Cold water is definitely useful for helping some fish spawn as it simulates rainfall.

Radar

Thought is free.
May 26, 2007
Kentucky
I use a digital thermometer and match my tap water to the same temp as what the tank is.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I put Y-adapters (with shutoffs) on my washing machine taps, then ran a short hose each from hot & cold taps to another Y to combine 'em. I connect a hose to that to fill the tanks with...temp adjusted by feel, plus I monitor the tank temp while filling.
+1

mwelin

AC Members
Nov 18, 2007
I use a digital thermometer and match my tap water to the same temp as what the tank is.
So glad to see this response. I was feeling like a bit of a ninny for doing this after reading some of the other responses. Glad I'm not alone! :grinyes:

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Match as much as possible. Last week's water change I didn't notice that the water was to cold when I added it and my tanks temp dropped nearly 10 degrees! It was bad, all my fish became very listless, but no deaths luckily. Took almost a whole day for the tank to get back up to the right temp...scared the heck out of me.

southpaw

Lefty
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
Same thing I do...and I have a thing about trying to get it the exact same...lol

I stick my extra digital thermometer in the tank I am changing water in then take a reading and then use the same thermometer to adjust the temp at my faucet using my Python ...This way I know the temps are right as some thermometers read alittle different.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store