Water Change During Angelfish Spawning?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CaptSugarCookie

AC Members
Feb 22, 2021
I was checking out my tank before doing a water change until I noticed eggs on my sword plant. Looks like my angelfish are spawning. Once she is done laying eggs would it be safe to do a water change? How many percent should I take out? This is my first time having angel's spawn.

1616532699512.png

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
No need to do a water change unless it is on your schedule. Its not necessary for egg survival.
+1. Just do your water changes as normal. Just make sure the water temp is close to the temperature in the tank and that the flow isn't directed at the eggs when you refill the tank.

WYite

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
If it is the first spawn chances are pretty good they won't hatch - if you do want them to hatch then make sure the water stays above the eggs. Btw if you get near them during the water change she will likely attack you so don't be overly startled when an angry angel charges your hand. It took my angels 4 or 5 tries to get it right....

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I was checking out my tank before doing a water change until I noticed eggs on my sword plant. Looks like my angelfish are spawning. Once she is done laying eggs would it be safe to do a water change? How many percent should I take out? This is my first time having angel's spawn.

View attachment 229431
I don’t have an answer for you since I’ve never had angels spawn, but congrats!!

Reactions: CaptSugarCookie

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
If it is the first spawn chances are pretty good they won't hatch - if you do want them to hatch then make sure the water stays above the eggs. Btw if you get near them during the water change she will likely attack you so don't be overly startled when an angry angel charges your hand. It took my angels 4 or 5 tries to get it right....
The first time angels spawned for me I was all excited. It was my first tank in 1985 so we won't talk about how inappropriate the tank was. Anyways, I was all excited, but then the pleco ate them. The next time I caught them in the process, and realized they were two females.

WYite

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Years ago we had 2 females given to us & they regularly laid eggs every 2 weeks. We got a likely male, & flirt & shimmy as he might, they were set in their ways. Poor boy was very frustrated but too small to do anything more productive...sometimes that's how it works out...you never can tell

Reactions: FishAddict74

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I should have said your eggs look clear & not the tan color of fertilized eggs. It takes some practice for any cichlid to get spawning just right, don't worry, they'll try again in 4 weeks or less. Good luck!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Whats flirt and shimmy? For a minute i thought you had you know what angels ?
'The Flirt and Shimmy' is a tacky 1950s song.

WYite

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store