Water Change Tank View!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
The tank is usually fill to the top. I was doing 50% water change and I realize I could possibly turn my 7 gallon tank into a pauldarium! But I have never kept Bucephalandra emerge/above water surface before. How many times would I need to spray them a day? What is your favourite pauldarium plants? It would be awesome if I can keep Bromeliads in the tank. :)
I saw a video of someone’s tank that have floater plants and a koi betta and the tank set up was very inspiring. I might add a koi betta in this tank. I will keep you guys updated!
I wish my tank is a 30 gallon then I could have kept some mudskipper/turtle pauldarium tank! :)

Here’s a video of my tank:
http://instagr.am/p/B5q7yqSByxu/ I’m using the JCP Full Spectrum RGB Light and it really provide great color for my plants!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FMJT66X/ref=twister_B07M8H539M?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 4.39.25 PM.png

IMG_2705.JPG

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
I can't really tell if this is an open top tank with just a light on it or is that a whole cover you are lifting up? Humidity is key with these type of plants, you need to cover the top if it isn't closed rather as spray while having an open top.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've only seen paludariums in person with a filter spraybar & plants along the back to keep them constantly wet. Or with just the tops of plants out at the surface, not truly a paludarium as I understand it. Some had small orchids that looked very nice. I don't think either style had a glass top but they were not relying on just spritzing to keep the plants moist.

I love mudskippers but have not kept them. Some need brackish water I think, most plants would hate that.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Most paludariums I have seen have an adjustable top, so humidity can be controlled. And rhen filter, waterfall feature, spray bars to keep everything watered.

There was a great talk at the AGA earlier inn the year by Cara Wade, if someone has the DVDs, or is a member they can stream to watch the talk. I really recommend it.

And yes, I'm pretty sure mudskippers are brackish, not many plant options except mangroves and such.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
dougall, I thought there was a freshwater mudskipper species? I could easily be wrong but that seems right to me. I only looked very casually into keeping them a long while ago, cute as the dickens!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
You may be right, I have honestly never thought about keeping them.

You should consider anableps as an alternative though.. but I fear they need a significant amount of space

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I just went to Aqua Forest, the ADA seller in SF. They had some really cool paludarium set ups with a foggy misty thing (co2?) going along the top & planting grid (with water emitters) along the back with water trickling down. I didn't study it hard, way way out of my price range, lol. The tanks had about 6 inches or so of water & 10 inches or so of emersed grid with, of course, the latest very cool ADA (Amano) style lights. It was part of the DOOA line that also includes wabi kusa set ups.

lampro, you should at least check it out for inspiration. Lots of info & vids online.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The misty thing is just misted water, to keep everything moist and watered.

But, yeah, the ADA paludariums stuff is yummy, but expensive. There are ways to do it on more of a budget. If you have free time, there should be plenty on dendroboard.com.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
TY dougall, like I said I didn't study it but it did seem there should similar DIY versions...maybe not quite as integrated & innovative as ADA ;) but much less expensive...someday maybe

Reactions: dougall

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'm pretending to not know how many terrariums there are at home...

Lest I'm reminded it's less than there are aquariums, even rimless ones

?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store