water conditions... fish dyeing?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

misscrosson

Aquarium Addict
Sep 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Yeah... the two white fish still look bad... but, to me it looks like they're getting better.... swimming more... all of the fish are swimming now...

I havn't fed them at all today... nor have I put the light on...

I'm just happy that I havn't lost any fish, I'd be very sad if I did... :(

When does everyone recommend I wait before I get myself more fish? My older sister wanted to pick up afew fish for me this Friday.. but, I myself think that, that's just too soon... I don't want to risk losing more fish... or even making the water go out of wack more

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Adding more fish will just make the levels rise even more quickly, so it is not a good idea for now!! Wait until you get the nitrate test and post the results, and the water has been stable for at least a week or two (meaning NO nitrite or amonia and a nitrate reading)

Jay

AC Members
Feb 16, 2004
Eastern Shore Md
Visit site
Whoa... Hi Ms Crosson!

Everyone here needs to take a deep breath in through the nose out through the mouth...

Again!

Go back and review all the posts. There is a lot of misinformation, misunderstanding, and just plain wrong stuff being offered here.

Water changes in this situation = good
NitrAtes will not hurt you even up to 100 ppm!!
There is something going on here probably faulty test kit readings. If your NH4 readings (ammonia) are 0 and the NitrItes are high then you have a biofilter failure or a tank not fully cycled or easily overwhelmed by overfeeding. If your tank babysitter grossly overfed your tank that could account for a spike in NitrItes. Take your water to the LFS and get them to test it.

A 50 - 60 0r 95% water change is the first line. Use a quality water conditioner that deals with both chlorine AND chloratamine.

Feed your fish, a quality flake or frozen food, what they will eat in a minuet or two. Fish are fine being fed every other day or so. Do not starve them for a week.

Get back to us on the water parameters

misscrosson

Aquarium Addict
Sep 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Should I just keep doing 25% changes every other day until all my test results are where they're suppose to be?

TEES_91

AC Members
Aug 30, 2005
The filter you mention the Aqua clear 100 is that being used on your 70 gal tank? That filter is used for up to 20 gal tanks. I'm sure not enough filtration for a 70 gal tank.

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
misscrosson said:
Should I just keep doing 25% changes every other day until all my test results are where they're suppose to be?

You might need to do water changes daily, or even more! You need to keep the nitrite and amonia at or very close to 0 if you want the fish to live!!

misscrosson

Aquarium Addict
Sep 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
TEES_91 said:
The filter you mention the Aqua clear 100 is that being used on your 70 gal tank? That filter is used for up to 20 gal tanks. I'm sure not enough filtration for a 70 gal tank.
I'm using an aquaclear yes... but it's for tank that are up to 100gallons, and my tank is only a 70gallon... so, there is alot of filtration

One of my poor fish died today :(

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
misscrosson said:
One of my poor fish died today :(
Sorry to hear that, just keep up with the water changes, its the best thing you can do for them :eek:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store