Water problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AMDninjaboy

AC Members
Mar 7, 2011
Ont, Canada
Real Name
Shane
Everything is goin good pufferpunk, thanks for your help. I have him in a 20L tank till my big tank arrives and gets set up. I am doing 100% water changes every 3 days. My new tank will be here this friday and hopefully my stand will be ready this weekend and I can start cycling the new tank with a couple shrimp early next week.. I wanted to ask you about having a CUC. I was thinking of having a few snails, maybe a couple hermit crabs and a blood shrimp or two as well as a couple sand sifting starfish. I wonder about the puffer with the snails and shrimp. Im thinking they could become dinner for him.. Will he go after them? He loves shrimp and Im thinking he would probably love live ones as well so it might not be such a good idea.. What kind of clean up crew could I use that he wont bother with?

Shane.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
No CUC is safe indefinitely with a puffer. Eventually they become dinner. How big is the new tank? Better to be doing daily 50% WC than a 100% WC every 3 days. Too long for the ammonia to build. What do you mean by 100%?

AMDninjaboy

AC Members
Mar 7, 2011
Ont, Canada
Real Name
Shane
I take 8 gals of water and put it in a 10 gal tank, change all the water in the 20L and then put him back in the 20L.. So he gets brand new water every 3 days.. The new tank is a 90 gal(48X18X24) and will have a 35 gal tank for a sump/fuge.
Thanks Londonloco I will check it out again..

Shane.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Moving that fish back & forth is way too much stress on him (never mind, the possibility of him inhaling air, every time he's moved from tank to tank, which can prove deadly) . So is changing 100% of toxic water every 3 days. Too much time between WC, for the fish to poison itself with it's own waste. Just do as I said. You're going to eventually need larger than 90g for an 18" puffer.

Last edited:

AMDninjaboy

AC Members
Mar 7, 2011
Ont, Canada
Real Name
Shane
I never had him out of water, I know not to net them because of the puffing with air not to mention him getting tangled in the net if he did puff up.. I used a 10 cup glass measuring cup, put it in the tank and he would swim into it then put him into the 10 gal.. Anyway I took your earlier advice, after work went and talked to my LFS and explained the situation.. He agreed to take the puffer back and keep him for me till the new tank is cycled..

Shane.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Wonderful news! It shows how much you care for your prickly friend. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com