Water Quality

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OldSalty

AC Members
Sep 15, 2006
:confused:

Hi:

I am have water quality issues. The PH and nitrate levels are fine. But, even with contants water changes every other day the ammonia level stays in the 2.0 range. I vacuum the gravel each water change.

I have a 5 gallon Marineland Hex tank with the bio filter. The aquarium is about a month ago.

There are four one inch fish in the tank..

Should I be using an ammonia lock product? Also, the top of the tank has a layer of tiny bubbles..

Thks.. :)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Let's try to get some additional info before we come up with some possibilities....

Are you using test strips or a liquid test kit? Test strips are often very inaccurate.

If using a liquid kit, are you following the instructions exactly? And waiting the proper time frame to make the readings?

What are your pH, nitrite and nitrate readings? Exact numbers please.

What are those same readings on your tap water that you use to do the water changes?

What kind of water conditioner are you using?

You have 4 fish in the tank, but what kind are they and how big?

What kind of cycle did you do to prepare this tank that has only been up for one month? Fishey? Have the fish been in there the whole time?

How are you cleaning the filter?

OldSalty

AC Members
Sep 15, 2006
I am using a liquid kits, and following the instructions for wait times.

pH 7.2
nitrite 0
nitrate - do not have a tester for this
Ammonia 2.0

What are those same readings on your tap water that you use to do the water changes?

No. From tap (city water)

pH 7.2
nitrite 0
Ammonia 0

What kind of water conditioner are you using?
TetaAqua Safe.

You have 4 fish in the tank, but what kind are they and how big?
Placed in 2 guppies after first week. Then added 2 tetras and a catfish a week later. Actually have five fish.

What kind of cycle did you do to prepare this tank that has only been up for one month?

Set up with gravel, water, and plastic plants for one week before adding any fish. Left filter running.

Have the fish been in there the whole time?
No, after one week started adding fish.

How are you cleaning the filter?
Bio filter (wheel) and media, have not changed at all.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
You are basically doing a fishey cycle (stressful for your fish) and your tank has not cycled (established the correct bacterial envioronment to handle the waste).

Can you do a 50% water change right now, refill, test for ammonia and post the results here?

In case you need a refresher....

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84598

OldSalty

AC Members
Sep 15, 2006
After water change:

pH 7.2
nitrite .25
Ammonia 8.0

Had not test levels for last 5 days.

I big trouble now..

Salty

dabaers

AC Members
Aug 27, 2006
Get some prime or amquel plus right away if you are doing a fishy cycle.
They will keep your fish alive while you do the appropriate water changes and cycle your tank.
Do daily tests of ammonia and nitrite, do water changes daily or more often, and when ammonia is zero, nitrite is zero and nitrates are 10+ for a few days in a row your tank has cycled.
Ammonia and nitrite can and will kill your fish if you dont take care of them as the tank cycles.
Do a search for cycle and read and read some more :)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Read through the data at the link I posted above.

You need to keep ammonia and nitrites below .25

Keep doing water changes every 8 hrs, 50-75% at a time until that ammonia is under .25 ppm.

Get a full master liquid test kit so you can do ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

SirWired

AC Members
Sep 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
OldSalty said:
After water change:

pH 7.2
nitrite .25
Ammonia 8.0

Had not test levels for last 5 days.

I big trouble now..

Salty
You need to do probably two or more 75% water changes right the heck now. With Ammonia at 8.0ppm you are lucky you have a single fish still alive. You REALLY want Ammonia to be at or BELOW 0.5ppm.

SirWired

OldSalty

AC Members
Sep 15, 2006
I have done two 75% water changes in the last 6 hours. Ammonia level is now down to .25. Will do another water change in about 3 hours.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Good deal!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store