wattage per gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kittyhazelton

I eat sushi
Aug 15, 2005
Hartford, VT
elfwood.lysator.liu.se
how much wattage per gallon would you suggest to be adequate (but not poor) for a 30long reef tank? I believe this tank is 16"-17" high. currently using 2 36" 30watt T8 flourescents. it's just a FOWLR right now, but I would be interested in getting some beginner corals, maybe polyps or mushrooms. If there is a recomended wattage per gallon rule I should be looking at that'd be very helpful in figuring out lighting.
Also, what are some good corals to start out with? good beginner corals that aren't ridiculously high maintenace and fairly hardy?

nccoastal

eating fish for supper
May 28, 2006
Eastern NC
4 to 5 watts is what they say is good.
metal halide is best. some coral you can get away with vho and t5 pc lights like that. but it comes down to everything grows better under mh.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
yeah, wattage per gallon is not a very good rule. It depends on the type of lights. if you have the money, i would highly suggest metal halide, or t5s. (beware with t5s, you get what you pay for. if you go this route, make sure to get them with individual reflectors). I would suggest MH, so later down the road, you wont have to upgrade (almost everyone who says they wont does..... i did.... and am now looking to upgrade to two 150 watt HQIs instead of one.

kittyhazelton

I eat sushi
Aug 15, 2005
Hartford, VT
elfwood.lysator.liu.se
Ok then. For starting out with the idea of upgrading in the future. What would be a lower cost lighting solution for beginner anemones/corals? Would a set of T5's be sufficiant. Or do I need to up it to PC's

kittyhazelton

I eat sushi
Aug 15, 2005
Hartford, VT
elfwood.lysator.liu.se
Now, another question about T5's. I know they need a different ballast than T8s, but do they need different standoffs? (the little plastic part that the lights clip into)

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
kittyhazelton said:
Now, another question about T5's. I know they need a different ballast than T8s, but do they need different standoffs? (the little plastic part that the lights clip into)
yes, you will need new everything with t5 HO (note, t5 is just normal florecent about). But the thing is with t5s, you get what you pay for, to have them bring enough to compete with MH lighting, you would need individual reflectors, and overdrive them on a good ballast like an icecap. Then they will be MUCH more powerhful than PCs.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
nccoastal said:
but why have something looking like a tanning bed hanging over your aquarium.
? you jsut suggested t5s, now you are saying they look like a tanning bed?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store