weather loach

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
They freak out if the barometric pressure drops rapidly, or they may pass gas as their response to the same stimulus. If your pressure had already dropped, they won't indicate the onslaught of snow, but if it hasn't, be prepared for some Weather Loach antics!

Heady

Cardinal Rule
Feb 22, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
I've heard that when there are large swings in barometric pressure they get really active swimming around. However, I've also heard that in an aquarium you may not see this behavior, especially if they don't have enough space.

If he is misgurnus fossilis ("weather loach"), he can get to be 11 inches long. If he is cobitis taenia taenia ("spotted weather loach"), he will only get to be about 4 inches long. How big is your tank?

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
If it is sold under the name "Weather Loach" in the Eastern portion of the U.S., it is likely Misgurnus anguillicaudatus, which will attain the same size as the M. fossilis.

fish_freak

Retired Mod
Feb 15, 2002
Great Barrington, MA
My guess is that he is the misgurnus fossilis being as he is not spotted and is allready 5 inches. He is pretty much just a light brown color. The tank that he is in is 90 gallons so no worries on size. The pressure is still high right now the snow is moving in tommorow so I guess Ill get to see the antics then.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store