Weird thing on my fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mokmu

AC Members
Jan 10, 2002
Singapore/Philippines
I was checking my fish this evening and saw this small blood clot-like, "amoeba-looking" thing stuck to my L260's pl*co pectoral fin. I lifted the fish to check and found a smaller one on its belly, also near the first one. I tried touching it and it felt slime-y. Never seen one before. I figure it to be a parasite.

Has anyone seen one of these? I pryed both off my 260's body and both of them came loose after some time. I immediately set off to burn the suckers using matches. Funny the way these things popped (much like burning ticks). What is it? Can others show up and infect or infest the other fish? What should I do?

Parameters (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0-10 ppm nitrates) are fine except that it has been pretty hot lately. Sometimes the tanks hit 33-34 degrees in the afternoons and early evenings. Gravel cleanings and water changes of 30-50% are done every other day and media are cleaned once a week. I transferred new fish from quarantine recently but both did not exhibit these weird stuff. Think it was the new fish? (SARS?! heh3x. I don't think so). Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Sounds like a parasite of some kind--and I wouldn't bet that you've removed them completely. I would look into a medicated food for parasites, soak your food in garlic, and really watch your fish. Sorry I can't provide anything specific for identification!

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Leech? Trematode? Let me throw another dart at the board and see what else I hit:rolleyes: . Use external parasites of fish as key words for your search. Let us know what you find out...that is what you determine your parasite to be.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store