Well, I have just been misinformed....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jdheff1982

No you're not! I'm Sparticus!
Aug 17, 2002
Wichita, KS
Visit site
I downloaded a program called Aquarix. I t asked for the dimension to my 29 gal tank; guess what, it turned out to be 20 gallon tank!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Some of you know I have 2 juvi firemouths in the tank. No wonder they won't leave each other alone!! Man!! I am one upset dude!!!! I hope they can hold out until early next year, I plan on getting a 90 gallon tank. Maybe a corner type. Just want to know what you guy would do in this situation. Thanks......

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
???

What are your 29g dimensions?

Mcdaphnia

AC Members
There are 231 cubic inches in a gallon. The nominal size of a tank is taken from the three outside tank measurements. Multiply the three measurements by each other, then divide by 231.

The actual size, which is less than the nominal (name) size is the inside measurements, front to back, and side to side. The vertical measurement is not the full inside measurement, but the distance from the bottom to the point where the tank will be kept filled.

Darkangel

AC Members
Nov 16, 2002
Oshawa, ON, Canada
There is also the matter of just what type of Gallon was it listed in. Imperial and US gallons are of different sizes. The imperial gallon is 277.42 cubic inches while the US gallon is only 231 cubic inches. That is a 20% difference. It also seems that tank sizes in many cases do not truly reflect the volume of the tank. Take for instance the tank commonly reffered to as a 55 gallon tank. That measures 48x12x18. If you do the math it really works out to 44 gallons. As for your fish not leaving each other alone, I had trouble trying to keep 2 of them in a 35 gallon tank. That was my only experience with firemouths but I ended up with 1 if that says anything. Perhaps you could consider a tank divider till you upgrade the tank size. One could easily be fashioned out of light diffuser sold at most hardware stores.

Mcdaphnia

AC Members
Darkangel is right.
There are two kinds of gallons. The Imperial used to be used in Canada before the metric system. It is possible that a European software program would let you choose either. You can check your settings.

Looking at the promo for the Aquarix software, I noticed that:

<<Aquarix allows many things to be set up as the user likes it.
The units can be changed to use US units like inch and gallon, British and US gallons are possible.
All measurements can be changed, up to 100 are possible with minimum and maximum values to have a warning.>>

It also mentions that the calculator determines the exact volume of the tank. A so-called 29 gallon tank would contain less than the gallon name it is given since the manufacturer volume does not deduct for the thickness of the glass or the fact that you do not fill the tank right up to the point it is flowing over.

jdheff1982

No you're not! I'm Sparticus!
Aug 17, 2002
Wichita, KS
Visit site
Already have switched the program over to complete US conversion. Gallons and inches. I also typed in the dimensions to my 37 gallon and it came out like 35.something gallons. So I guess the program is accurate. Anywho, I maybe getting a new 90 gallon tank for Christmas!! Woo Hoo!!!

TheCichlidMan1

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Rhode Island
wrestlingwire.net
There are many other websites out their in which you may put in the dimensions of your tank and you get a bunch of info on it including how many gallons it holds. I cant think of any off the top of my head but just search it up through www.google.com, Im sure you'l find something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store