wet dry filters vs canister filters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tomuel789

AC Members
Jul 22, 2010
hey folks,
i am doing some research on wet dry filters and canister filters so i know which one to ask for for christmas. i have heard that wet drys can flood and that might be a deal breaker so i would apreciate some facts and a clear answer. thanks

JK47

VERITAS A?QUITAS
Sep 1, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Real Name
Justin
hey folks,
i am doing some research on wet dry filters and canister filters so i know which one to ask for for christmas. i have heard that wet drys can flood and that might be a deal breaker so i would apreciate some facts and a clear answer. thanks
That is a fairly broad question so generally speaking, if your asking a loved one to buy you one for xmas for example. I would say only ask for brand name canister filters/models. (Eheim, Fluval, Marineland etc..) I would not trust anyone in my family to find all of the correct pieces/pay reasonable prices to assemble a sump (I can assemble all the sump pieces fairly cheap). IMO canisters are far more efficient/reasonable than a wet/dry or sump filter on tanks equal to or under 125 gallons. 125+ gallons and sumps start becoming more attractive/cost effective. I have 5 FX5's in my house as well as a couple of Eheim classic (2211,2217) canisters as well as sumps. I have slowly converted over to canisters. Others defend sumps to the death lol.. I have experience with both and this is just my opinion :D

I have ran more crystal clear tanks with a HOT magnum/Eheim classic than I care to admit..

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I too agree with JK47. Both have their merits, and I too use Hot Mags (5 to be exact).

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I have some HOT Magnums as well as sump systems (wet/dry) and I love the wet/dry for my large tanks. I feel that it would require too many canisters to do the same job or as well.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
for me it's all about the tank size..
Larger aquariums I prefer sump/sumps..you do need to be aware of possible flooding at power outtages..need to look into siphon breaks and enough capacity in the sump to handle over flow

less than 75 gallon I would go with canisters

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Specifically with respect to your question I think you should be more concerned over what you will get for the money. If your gift giver is rich and money is no object then by all means ask for a centralized 10 tank sump system. But if we are talking generous but conservative gift givers I would point them to the Ebay FX5 becasue for the price of $220 and performance its probubly the best value out there. I have sumps on my large tanks augmenting my FX5's but only for water level management and topping off into a bottom sump tank with a bucket rather then over my head (ouch). But I have done the head to head comparison independent filter testing using flake food, and the skimmer sumps don't come remotely close to the FX5 performance. At least that is what my objective test have shown, I cant speak for others realities. 50% of the satisfaction is sump building for practically nothing. Save up and buy a new/used $15 pond pump and build a wet/drt sump using parts from $1 garage sales, some garden hose, used Tupperware, plastic storage container and and discarded PVC for a skimmer.

Last edited:

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
I use sumps only along with a hot mag to polish the water and have sold off all my canisters. i am 100% wet dry fanatic and i use them on all tanks 55G and above. IF you set it up properly floods are not a worry so do you homework and you wont be sorry.

tomuel789

AC Members
Jul 22, 2010
ok well for one i have a 55g and ive been looking at places like amazon for wet drys and those are around 100 to 200 dollars compared to the one at petco thats 500 lol but do canisters flood ever like what are the downsides to the two filters thanks for the responses

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store