What’s on my Sterbai

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 2, 2002
New York
Hard to tell from the pics. There appears to be fungus, but my bet is that is secondary. I also think it may be columnaris which needs an antibiotic. sprinkle is in the UK and the best fish meds there are hard to get without a vet. Here is the states we can get them all. There are multiple cures for columnaris, if that is what it is.

Even if it is a different infection I think the primary issue is bacterial and the secondary is fungus. They both need to be treated, imo. You might want to investigate treating with a combination of Fritz's Mardel Maracyn (antibiotic) and Fritz's Mardel Oxy for the fungus. These meds can be used in combination. However, do a bit of research into " Flavobacterium columnare" which is the scientific name for columnaris.

Please understand that I am sure of the fungus part, but I cannot say for sure re the columnaris. However, this disease comes in various strains. Some are highly virulent and can kill before physical symtoms even appear. Other strains are milder and will manifest symptoms and give us time to treat it.

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
I had someone recommend using API Melafix and Pimafix at the same time for a week. Do you think those are basically the same as your Fritz options?

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I consider those products to be borderline useless, especially for something like columnaris they are a complete waste of money. Read ingredient lists and research what in on them.

Erythromycyn is a real antibiotic and is really what is needed. API lists mela and pima as useful. I have treated columnaris successfully of the the last 18 years, I never used mela nor pima, only antibiotics. I bought a bottle of mela and it sat unused for years until I threw it out.

As always these are my opinions and you will have to decide what you want to try. I make nothing no matter what product you choose. :)

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Get real drugs like TTA suggested.
And now look what you made me do, I had to point to these scientific papers - DOH!

Effects of marihuana compounds on the fighting behavior of Siamese fighting fish (Betta splendens)
Biochemical parameters of common carp (Cyprinus carpio) exposed to crude leaf extract of Cannabis sativa
Effect of cannabis oil on growth performance, haematology and metabolism of Nile Tilapia Oreochromis niloticus
Cannabis constituents reduce seizure behavior in chemically-induced and scn1a-mutant zebrafish

All kidding aside, the hardest part of keeping fish is disease assessment and treatment. More than anything else this is what most often drives me to look for answers on Google Scholar. And like anything in life nothing there is universal. I came across a study today which suggested two things with which I do not agree and that was successfully treating columnaris with 3 rounds or metronidazole or with 7 days win a row with Melafix. However they did not indicate this was successful against more virulent strains and was in only one species of fish.

I can also point you to a study where goldfish fingerlings were treated using Chloramine-T. Most folks use dechlor to eliminate chloramines. But here is a summary from the abstract:

Mortality of the untreated control (0 mg/l chloramine-T) group was 70% while survival of fish was significantly increased with increasing chloramine-T concentration up to 15 mg/l chloramine-T. When the concentration of chloramine-T was increased from 15 to 20 or 25 mg/l, survival of fish decreased. F. columnare was isolated from skin and gills of all fish that died during the experiments but was not isolated from survivors 21 days after exposure to bacteria. Results indicate that 15 mg/l chloramine-T can be used to treat columnaris disease in C. auratus under the experimental conditions of this study.
Toxicity and therapeutic effects of chloramine-T for treating Flavobacterium columnare infection of goldfish

There is another very good treatment, but it involves the use of Diquat, an herbicide. I first learned about this on the site for wild angelfish about 4 ir 5 years back. I have yellowed the key text below.

Thomas‐Jinu, S. and Goodwin, A.E. (2004), Acute columnaris infection in channel catfish, Ictalurus punctatus (Rafinesque): efficacy of practical treatments for warmwater aquaculture ponds. Journal of Fish Diseases, 27: 23-28. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2761.2003.00504.x

Abstract
Columnaris disease was induced in channel catfish, Ictalurus punctatus (Rafinesque), by bath exposure to four highly virulent isolates of Flavobacterium columnare. In untreated controls, mortality began 20 h after exposure and reached 100% by 48 h. Mortality in channel catfish given antibiotic treatments with oxytetracycline or a combination of sulphadimethoxine and ormetoprim in feed prior to bacterial challenge was zero with all four strains of F. columnare. Diquat® (Zeneca Agricultural Products, Wilmington, DE, USA) was the most effective bath treatment; mortality with all four strains was zero. With potassium permanganate, chloramine‐T, hydrogen peroxide and copper sulphate, bath treatment efficacy varied significantly among strains (P = 0.0346) and among treatments (P = 0.0033). Bath treatments with chloramine‐T and potassium permanganate significantly reduced (P < 0.05) mortality from 100 to 75 and 69%, respectively, but copper sulphate and hydrogen peroxide treatments were not effective. Based on our results, oral antibiotics prevented columnaris disease but, of the bath treatments, only Diquat® produced a dramatic reduction in the mortality of acutely infected fish. Diquat® is labelled for aquatic use as an herbicide in the USA but in large ponds it is prohibitively expensive.

I have never used Diquat and it would require some research to determine where to find it and then the proper way and amount to dose.

Reactions: Sprinkle

railer20

AC Members
Oct 15, 2020
Kansas
Hard to tell from the pics. There appears to be fungus, but my bet is that is secondary. I also think it may be columnaris which needs an antibiotic. sprinkle is in the UK and the best fish meds there are hard to get without a vet. Here is the states we can get them all. There are multiple cures for columnaris, if that is what it is.

Even if it is a different infection I think the primary issue is bacterial and the secondary is fungus. They both need to be treated, imo. You might want to investigate treating with a combination of Fritz's Mardel Maracyn (antibiotic) and Fritz's Mardel Oxy for the fungus. These meds can be used in combination. However, do a bit of research into " Flavobacterium columnare" which is the scientific name for columnaris.

Please understand that I am sure of the fungus part, but I cannot say for sure re the columnaris. However, this disease comes in various strains. Some are highly virulent and can kill before physical symtoms even appear. Other strains are milder and will manifest symptoms and give us time to treat it.
so looks like the Mardel Maracyn is a powder packet? And there is two types? And the Maracyn Oxy is a liquid?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Sorry Railer, but the truth is you can't diagnose most fish diseases from a picture, and these are even blurry. People love to call every whitish growth a fungus (which?) but I consider this a knee jerk reaction, just like prescribing anti biotics for something that you can't possibly know. You need to examine a scrape of this under a microscope to know what it is, or at least exclude things. Anti biotics are not the miracle cure in fish as they are sometimes presented here. There are issues with resistance and then bacterial infections can be secondary, due to a multitude of internal conditions, genetic weaknesses and so on.
Fish are not sterile, they carry a bunch of pathogens but their immune system keeps them in check. When diseases are caused by for example temporary poor water conditions or after an injury those respond to treatment pretty well. However if diseases pop up in spite of good water conditions, or with fish that were recently purchased, accept the fact that these kind of cases often have underlying conditions that can not be cured. Many popular fish are now genetically weak. Fish treatment and diagnosis is very limited. Think of how many conditions/diseases you could treat in humans if you had an anti biotic and an anti parasitical medication.
If you insist on trying anti biotics only do this in a hospital tank.

Reactions: nellafantasia

nellafantasia

AC Members
Apr 6, 2019
Anyone know what the bumps are? Rubbing decorations? Sick?
View attachment 228789View attachment 228790
I have had a recent battle with columnaris in three of six Corydoras sterbai. (I have a 20 gallon long tank.) I have done much searching to find the best treatment for my 3 little guys.
there is too much zoom in the images.

I doubt what you have is fungus, though like I said, the images lack detail. I suspect columnaris. The lesions are very similar to what I have still going on with one cory. The recommended treatment for columnaris is a concurrent course of both Furan-2 and Kanaplex. it is vital to use both at the same time:

• Day 1: Furan-2 and KanaPlex
  • Day 2: Furan-2
  • Day 3: 25% water change, Furan-2 and KanaPlex
  • Day 4: Furan-2
  • Day 5: 25% water change, Furan-2 and KanaPlex
It is worth mentioning that in severe cases, you may need to do back-to-back treatments on your fish, for a total of 10 days. This is a judgment call that only you can make, based on how well your fish has recovered.

It is crucial to treat your tank for no less than 10 days. I ran out of Furan-2 in the middle at Christmas here in very rural northern Michigan and so the treatment was interupted. I will attempt to post a link to what I have found so far to be the most helpful in treating columnaris.

The link above will be helpful to you I believe.

Reactions: fishorama

nellafantasia

AC Members
Apr 6, 2019
Before you start with maracyn read up and be sure that is the most prudent choice. I hesitate to recommend the Maracyn until you have read up on columnaris.

In my case because 3 out of 6 Corydoras sterbai had columnaris, by the time I realized what it was I treated the whole tank. The give-away symptom in my case was the early greyish loss of color on a region of the fishes' bodies that I thought was nothing important. It was only when one of the lesions on one sterba turned white that I realized what I had going on. Unfortunately I believe I am now dealing with an antibiotic reisistant strain of columnaris. The poor little male sterba with the lesion that turned white actually had a deep loss of tissue. I was amazed at the speed with which the columnaris ate through tissue. Unfortunately I injured him trying to apply a swab treatment. I lost another one who got stuck between the heater and the tank glass. The remaining cory with any symptoms has had 13 straight days with the two meds. While improved the lesions are still there. I am at this time giving twice daily 20-30 minute baths with methylene blue and salt to this last remaining cory. Again, I highly recommend the detailed article about columnaris. it is the most helpful information I have found during many hours of searching the web.

nellafantasia

AC Members
Apr 6, 2019
I want to mention that the three corys that have no lesions are healthy and remain without any indication of illness. The one with the remaining lesions that are now grey and fading has always exhibited normal behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store